Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 -  Shockwaves >

CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 - Shockwaves

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 - Shockwaves

Old 10-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

It may be the Blackhorn plug has a 1/8" flame channel. Myself, i don't have one, so i cannot really know. It was my undersanding the Blackhorn plugs came with a drill the correct size.

When i wrote the Blackhorn plug could be used in any newer CVA rifle i was kinda wrong, and kinda right. The plugs purchased for CVA rifles required a 'fitting' last i knew. A tool was used to fit the plug to one's rifle. This fitting made the plug fit the barrel of the rifle just about 'perfect'. The plug fit for the one rifle, should work in the other rifle, but the fit may not be 'perfect', and it may leak some blow by around the nose of the breech plug.

If the 3mm drill is hard to come by, the #32 drill will do the job just fine.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, the Western BH BP uses an 1/8" drill. Not sure about the CVA BH version.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did not mean to hijack this thread, but it seems that I have. The breech plug that I need the drill bit for is the CVA Optima "origional equipment" plug, the one that came in it. I have a drill bit for the Blackhorn plug. I will give the Blackhorn plug a try sometime with a mild charge and see what happens, it was "fitted" for my Wolf. Thanks for the info guys and my apology to Cayugad.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

No apology needed... I am always glad to see information and advise shared. I had the original one modified to be a BlackHorn/loose powder plug. I will be testing that the next time I shoot the rifle.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I appreciate that Cayugad. I rumaged around and found a set of drill bits. I do have a 7/64" but it would not go into the flame channel. I did get a smaller one in there and cleaned some black stuff out. I worked my way up to the 7/64" and finally got it in. The flame channel was so gunked up I doubt if it would have fired. Maybe that is why it was at the pawn shop. I was going to take the butt stock off to get to the trigger group but I don't have the right size "hex bit"?? for that. I flushed it out as best I could instead. I think I enjoy cleaning a "rescued" gun about as much as shooting it. I do like to start them off clean. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Spike

I shot my new accura yesterday and almost every shot the primer was filthy. Once in a while my primer would come out clean. My daughters wolf the primers almost always comes out clean but still soot around the plug like yours. With my accura I didn't have any o rings to try. I never had to use them with the wolf. Both guns have plugs for blackhorn made by cva.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

To tell the truth, I have a Wolf and just bought a used Optima, I have not fired either. I have read posts that suggested that the hotter the load, the more likely it is to have some blow-back around the primer. That makes sense. The Optima did have some because the breech fase had some black residu on it and the primer pocket was filthy. I have no idea what the previous owner was using or how much he was using. I will take the scope off of the Wolf and put iton the Optima and replace the iron sights on the Wolf for the time being. I do have a Western Powders Blackhorn breech plug, it has the little O-rings. If I had an O-ring in it and had it in the Wolf, the action would not close without putting some stress on the primer. I took the O-ring out but still have not used it. I will give it a try in the Optima to see if it fits better.

Have fun with the Accura.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I got my O rings today. Maybe the next dry day I will get out and try them. Thanks for the information on them. If they work that's a real plus.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Do the CVA or Western BH209 plugs (or Ron's converted old CVA plugs) effectively fire 777 as well? Or do they make the crud ring unbearable or accuracy suffer with 777?
Old 10-03-2014, 04:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by donw
Do the CVA or Western BH209 plugs (or Ron's converted old CVA plugs) effectively fire 777 as well? Or do they make the crud ring unbearable or accuracy suffer with 777?
Any of those will shoot any loose powder well. The crud ring with T7 won't be affected. The only thing to help the T7 crud ring is the primers made for muzzleloaders, and swabbing.

The best cure for the T7 crud ring in a CVA is to use a different powder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.