Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Maxiball BC?

Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Butter Knife Muley?
Whoooeee... Semi, you're just too quick on the draw!

BPS
Old 05-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my rifle to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Sincerely, Hatchet Jack.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've read that bear spray is much more effective on grizz, and can fail on black bear.

So, only having one shot I thought I should get something as a backup. A knife is what I decided on. I figured a 6" blade should reach the vitals. I picked the Buck 119. I'm sure the bear will still kill me, but at least I can go down fighting.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
That's the way it is in PA and that's the way it should be as far as I'm concerned. Although the "Mainah's" I've talked to said it's pretty tough to hunt them up there without bait or dogs. We're allowed to put on drives for bears here in PA much the same as we are for deer and that's how most of our bears are taken each year. Good luck taking one with your ML. I'm certain the 370gr. Maxi will do the job...you just need to do yours. I hope your season is successful.

BPS

In Wisconsin we can use bait and hounds. I baited bear and its not as "Great" as one might think. You can have a bait being hit every day only to find out when you hunt it, its a sow with cubs, which is illegal or the bear is so small you would not want it. Then your cold hunting.

I never hunted with hounds, but have heard them run through my property. Hound hunters run their you know what off many times only again to find a sow or a small bear. But the dogs sure have fun.

I had a great bait going a few years back. I had a huge single bear coming in and I thought.. oh boy, this is it. I was excited. One large set of tracks coming in and leaving in the sand. I was in a ground blind. And in comes a HUGE sow and two cubs. And where do the cubs want to play.. right in front of me and my single shot .54 caliber Renegade. Talk about getting nervous. I think my you know what bit a hole right through the padded seat cushion I was sitting on.