Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
White Lightning at the range >

White Lightning at the range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White Lightning at the range

Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Spike

Default White Lightning at the range

Finally got a chance to make a target that I'm not embarrassed to post.

I replaced the factory rear buckhorn sight with a WGRS peep. I was shooting with the standard aperture which I think is .093. I left the factory front sight, but will probably change it at some point as it seems a bit flimsy. First time with a peep, and I found the .093 a bit too big for my eyes. I was, however able to see the target with my almost 50 year old eyes.

I know what Sabotloader means when he says the "slide and glide" sights are tougher to get in line. It took me too many bullets to sight the thing in. I was making big adjustments and probably missing the paper (at 25 yards!). But once it started to come together, it felt really good.

Attached is the last target (Can't figure out how to embed it in the post). My range is only 50 yards, and I set it to shoot high at that distance. The lowest shot was after I made the last adjustment to the peep. It's a good thing - my shoulder was starting to complain - 60grains RS with the No Excuses 460grain.

I'm starting to like this rifle. Also the No Excuses bullets that I was worried were too loose are great. I tried Cayugad's suggest to load and tap the muzzle to see if they would come loose and there was no problem. I also really like the 350g FPB, but I haven't played with loads yet - and I assume they'll be easier on my shoulder.
Attached Thumbnails White Lightning at the range-target-wl.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dante231

Man you can not complain about those last three! Awesome! And it will only get better for you.

I was in the Rock Pit yesterday completing a sight in project with my Western Edition Mountaineer - shoot clay pigeons at 100 - that is really from when you get instant feedback on your shot as the pigeon busts all to heck!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Dominant Buck

that is some very good shooting!! The more you get used to the rifle the better they get. Nice shooting.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

Nice shooting, the fpb work great in my S91-11, I just got my thunderbolt back from doc and hope to try them in that too.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Spike

Thanks, guys! This stuff really is a blast!