Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
RUSTED!!!  CVA Optima >

RUSTED!!! CVA Optima

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

RUSTED!!! CVA Optima

Old 11-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Offer him $120 for both guns. Then you can't lose.

What Muley said! If you can get them both for $120-$130...go for it! You can always use the rusty one for a project gun. Watch Ebay for used parts, etc. Maybe scour it out with JB paste and get it shooting decent and keep it as a "back up only" gun and tweek the good one in and use it.

I once brought home a Traditions in-line rifle (can't remember which model) from my Mother-in-laws shop that had the old style spring cocking mechanism. She had bought it from an individual for $50. The bore looked good, but a lot of the blackened parts showed rust and the man told her he didn't know much about muzzleloading rifles so I doubt he ever took any time to develop a load.

I took it apart, cleaned it up and took all of the blackened parts to work with me and polished them and then had them run through our black bath tanks. I sighted the rifle in with 90gr. of loose Pyro RS and some Powerbelt (I believe 250gr.) bullets I had to spare and got very good accuracy with it. I took it back to her shop with the sight-in target and load data written on it and told her to ask $100 for it.

A week later the same man she bought it from bought it back!

BPS
Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tell him to throw in the rusty one and he has a deal. I have a Knight that I bought in an online auction. When I got it there was a rust spot about 3" from the muzzle in the bore. Someone on here told me to use Evaporust on it. I did and it came right out. That barrel is as clean as a whistle and shoots great.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rust is one thing, but pitting is horrible!!! Tried to work with a barrel that had rust and after working on it a while I found the pitting to be too much. I couldn't get it to shoot worth a darn. But who knows, like Dave said I also left more then $20 in a bar urinal!!!

Good luck pal