HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   RUSTED!!! CVA Optima (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/386744-rusted-cva-optima.html)

KBacon 11-05-2013 02:47 AM

RUSTED!!! CVA Optima

Ok... I have been shooting my TC Omega for several years & love it... so I am not new to this...

But my cousin in just getting into hunting... after he killed a nice bukc w/ my gun last year.... So I was checking the local pawn shop for some deals... they have a decent optima that I am considering for $120... but then he reaches behind the counter & pulls out this Nickel Optima w/ synthetic stock.... and the outside of the barrel is pretty pitted... so I pull the breech plug & look down the barrel & it looked pretty crusty... couldn't tell much with the low light in the shop...

He told me I could have it for $20.... wondering if it would be possible to bring this "project" back from the dead??? Or if it's a lost cause that I should walk away from???

nchawkeye 11-05-2013 02:59 AM

No way to tell until you buy it and try to clean up...

A hundred strokes with JB Bore Paste can to wonders though...

It may group 3 inches at 100 yards vs 1 1/2...If ranges are within 100, it will
be a cheap deal...

Heck, the stock and extra parts are worth a 20...

falcon 11-05-2013 03:35 AM

Pass on the gun. Dealing with a badly rusty gun is not worth the hassle.

a1smokepole 11-05-2013 05:57 AM

If the optima for a 120 has a good barrel buy it .

JohnnyHildo 11-05-2013 06:12 AM

buy both guns. order a new barrel for the rusty one and sell one of them to your cousin. problem solved.

Muley Hunter 11-05-2013 06:29 AM

Offer him $120 for both guns. Then you can't lose.

cayugad 11-05-2013 08:00 AM

I would look the gun over real close. But for 20 bucks.. if the trigger and hammer work good.. and you can get the breech plug out, well as I used to say, I left more money then that in a urinal on a good time Friday night.

I would get it as a project gun. Scrub the barrel down, if necessary a mild lapp of the barrel would help. It might be a short range shooter, say 75 yards or less, but it would be fun to have for part if anything else.

a1smokepole 11-05-2013 08:14 AM

Just thinking that maybe and optima elite for 20 if so you can buy any cal barrel for the gun.

lemoyne 11-05-2013 10:43 AM

What I would do in that situation is try for a good price on both guns like 110 the strip the rusty one and soak all the parts in Evapo-Rust and clean them up then polish the mating surfaces and order a new barrel for it with a bit of polishing it should be usable or saleable.
I would not try to force the action to work as you might damage parts, once it's cleaned up then you will be able to see what is needed if anything.

chaded 11-05-2013 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo (Post 4095077)
buy both guns. order a new barrel for the rusty one and sell one of them to your cousin. problem solved.

Really not that simple. You have as much as a new gun by just buying the barrel from CVA. They sent me a Version 1 Accura frame for a Version 2 one time. They told me that I could keep the wrong frame. I thought well I wonder if I could just get a barrel and stock for this frame so I called them up. When they told me the price I laughed and asked them if they were mistaken. I could of got a brand new version 2 accura for what they wanted for the version 1 barrel and stock. I suspect you would not be ahead by just getting a barrel but you never know I guess.