Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

So why????

Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Default So why????

Why do you choose to shoot a muzzleloader , especially those of you who hunt exclusively with one instead of a centerfire??

Old 10-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Why do you choose to shoot a muzzleloader , especially those of you who hunt exclusively with one instead of a centerfire??
Just more fun and more challenge...
Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

It make you a better hunter. One shot. No do overs.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well that's a hard one. Don't really know, except that it tickles my fancy and makes me happy. Maybe it's a result of watching Fess Parker as a kid. Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to tinker and that goes with it. For me it makes shooting and hunting more fun.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

The challenge mostly. Even though I can't remember taking a second shot with my 30/30. I always knew it was available.

I got into the rendezvous and BP shoots for awhile, but now i'm just back into hunting, and an inline is more practical in the rifle seasons here, because of the weather. I also like the lightness of an inline, and with my vision I need a scope. I still refuse to put a scope on a sidelock.

Plus, blowing clouds of smoke is cool!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simply, because it extended my hunting season. Then, thereafter, i chose to hunt with a muzzle loader during the regular rifle season, so for to learn more about muzzle loader. For the past 5 rifle season, i have used a muzzle loader exclusively. Having one shot never seemed to be a handicap. In my experience, i only was given one shot, no matter what kind of rifle i was hunting with. However, going forward, i probably, shan't use a muzzle loader any more, except during muzzle loader season. Using a muzzle loader for all seasons has been a joy, and a pleasure, and i have learned so very very much doing so.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
My logic is a little different than others. You see, my father was shot in a hunting accident during regular season back in the 70s. He nearly died and it nearly ended my hunting career before it began. I became a bowhunter, however and killed many deer with the bow over the years. Now, I feel like I simply want a time in the field without a lot of lead flying, and without having to put the enormous amount of preparation that bowhunting requires. It is just the right method for me during this time of life. I'm a mid-50s boomer heading toward retirement and I just want time in the field to relax and kill the occasional buck. The CVA Accura V2 is my first inline and has kind of kicked up my interest level in ML hunting. The right gun, the right time, the right season of life.

It is a nice way to spend the fall, when I can't be fly fishing in the smoky mountains.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

So why use a smokepole when I could use something more modern. I agree with Semisane about the nestolgia, and Muley Hunter about the challenge. If I know that I only have one shot, I have to make it count or pass for a better shot. This head game alone can make someone a better hunter.

I am considering switching over to muzzy only hunting. It's sad when I can go to a gun counter and not find any 30-30s on the shelf. I should have bought a box the last time I saw them on the shelf. On the other hand, I figure 100 shots through the muzzle loader will cost me around 50 cents per shots with the supplies ussually in stock and I can't gauranty that centerfire rounds will be in stock if I should need a box of shells.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think twice in my life ive needed more than one shot. The first time was with a CF miss. They are usually gone before i can cycle another round anyway. The second was with my ML after shooting another deer. Well i got the 2 with the ML no problem and i seldom get a shot past 100 yards.

A CF just does not offer me any real advantage. A deers heart and lungs can not seem to tell the difference and that is by far the place most of my shots end up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.