Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

So why????

Old 10-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with every one of the reasons above. I shot a lot of critters in my hunting career. Some at a fairly long distance but most <100 yds (with some literally "in my face"). Although the ones taken at long ranges were satisfying, the close encounters are the ones that gave me the most excitement. I like getting close and using a ML or archery gear forces me to do that. Any rifleman worth his salt can kill an animal at 300 yds with a flat shooting centerfire. But it take a hunter to get up close and personal with an animal in its own bedroom.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up in WY hunting with CF's and long distance. Shotguns were for birds only. The thought of someone going after a deer with a shotgun was laughable. Moved to MN and my option was a shotgun. I went out one year and couldn't stand being in the woods with a shotgun. After that season I told my father in law I was getting a bow or not hunting. He said to take his muzzleloader out and see what I thought of that. One shot and I was hooked. Since then they just seem more fun than even a CF. If I ever get a chance to hunt somewhere that allows a CF again, I'll still use my muzzleloader.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally, I started ML hunting to extend my season. In VA where I grew up, you could hunt a couple months with a ML.

Now, I guess I'm getting old. I'm WAY more selective in both the shots I take and the animals I shoot. While I have reloaded my fair share of centerfire, the 'reloading' of MLs is a lot more enjoyable to me. Life is so hectic for me right now, slowing down with a ML is very much welcomed.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Ohio only muzzleloaders, shotguns, and handguns are legal (no centerfire rifles).
When I started hunting deer the muzzleloader was by far the most accurate long range choice available. I also like the fun of a muzzleloader and knowing I only get one shot makes me a better shooter.
Even with today's accurate shotguns & pistols available I still just stick with the muzzleloader.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

A lot less people in the woods in the states I hunt. I only saw 1 archery hunter while hunting elk this year.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any rifleman worth his salt can kill an animal at 300 yds with a flat shooting centerfire. But it take a hunter to get up close and personal with an animal in its own bedroom.
+1

To each their own of course but hunting with a scoped CF rifle seems like little more than target shooting to me.

I have found that hunting and shooting with a flintlock has given me a greater appreciation for our country's history.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I don't hunt exclusively with a muzzleloader, I enjoy the time I spend shooting or hunting with them much more than with a centerfire rifle. I got my first black powder rifle when I was a kid in high school back in '73 and I've been hooked on them ever since.

BPS
Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

My first muzzy was when I first began deer hunting as a teen in the mid 80s. An ol poc CVA Hawkin that sprayed lead like a dove gun! After a few misses I traded it off to a bud & just bow hunted during muzzy season for the next decade until I bought a lil ol Knight Wolverine in the mid 90s. I killed ALOT of deer with that lil Wolvie & in 1998 I took my best trophy yet, a 368" 6x6 bull in the Gila of NM with it. I think it was what 2003 when Savage released the ML10-2? So I bought one & I wouldn't take a farm in GA for it, I LOVE this muzzy & have UTTER confidence in it.

That Wolvie was a GREAT rifle & in fact it's "coming out if retirement" next month for a buddy to use. I simply went to the Savage for increased distance & the BEST reason is the lack of cleaning with the smokeless. I refer to it as essentially a single shot rifle! I LOVE hunting all deer seasons with all weapons but I would have NO hesitation at all with using my Savage instead of a shotgun if I lived in or hunted in a state/s that require such guns. Any deer within 300yds is FAIRGAME with my Savage.

I live & hunt in TN & our muzzy season is usually the 1st 2 weeks of Nov running right up to the day b4 our gun opener that is always the Sat b4 Thanksgiving so that's a PRIMETIME to be out there!!!

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 10-11-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
I live & hunt in TN & our muzzy season is usually the 1st 2 weeks of Nov running right up to the day b4 our gun opener that is always the Sat b4 Thanksgiving so that's a PRIMETIME to be out there!!!
This is another great point. Most states have their ML season set around the rut. So using a ML allows you to be in the woods at the best time.

Nov 12th is a day I will always be in the woods! SO many big bucks have died at the hands of our group on that day.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been a history buff since a youngster, grew up watching Fess Parker in his Daniel Boone series in the mid-60s...(I was born in 1955)...

I bought my first flintlock in 1977 and for several years I hunted deer, rabbits, squirrels and turkeys with that .45...In the late 80s I built a .54 caliber flintlock and still use it to this day...

I also give talks on Colonial History to local Boy Scout troops and schools...Frankly, I should have been a history teacher...

I guess I wanted to learn to use the rifles that our forefathers used...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.