Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
another try with the Wolf >

another try with the Wolf

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

another try with the Wolf

Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default another try with the Wolf

Got some 300gr XTPs today and took the Wolf to the range to test them. Used a target with a 2" diamond center and the first shot from a clean barrel (wiped the oil out before I loaded) was right in the top of the diamond. (sorry no pics, I forgot my camera )
Second shot on a dirty barrel (didn't swab just to see what it would do if I had to reload quickly) was slightly left of the diamond, third & fourth shots (with a swabbed barrel before reloading) were in the diamond.

Then the group really opened up!
Next shot (5th) was 3-4" high left, next shot (6th) again in the diamond, next shot (7th) 2" left. The barrel was getting very warm at that point so I quit for the day since I had to go pick up my son from school.
Now I'm wondering (since the first 4 shots were very good) if maybe the hot barrel is the reason the rest opened up. I was shooting and immediately reloading without giving the barrel time to cool.
I'm encouraged since the first shot was right where I wanted it and the next 3 were very close. Guess it's going to take another trip to the range to check out the first shot on a clean barrel and a couple more shots with a fouled (but swabbed) bore are still good.

So far it's looking like the Wolf doesn't like a dirty or hot barrel, but may not require a fouling shot before hunting.
It's probably not a good choice for target shooting, but for hunting that first shot is usually the only one needed and it's looking good there!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

it sounds like you have a good load worked up. Now all you need is the deer to cooperate.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by wabi
Got some 300gr XTPs today and took the Wolf to the range to test them. Used a target with a 2" diamond center and the first shot from a clean barrel (wiped the oil out before I loaded) was right in the top of the diamond. (sorry no pics, I forgot my camera )
Second shot on a dirty barrel (didn't swab just to see what it would do if I had to reload quickly) was slightly left of the diamond, third & fourth shots (with a swabbed barrel before reloading) were in the diamond.

Then the group really opened up!
Next shot (5th) was 3-4" high left, next shot (6th) again in the diamond, next shot (7th) 2" left. The barrel was getting very warm at that point so I quit for the day since I had to go pick up my son from school.
Now I'm wondering (since the first 4 shots were very good) if maybe the hot barrel is the reason the rest opened up. I was shooting and immediately reloading without giving the barrel time to cool.
I'm encouraged since the first shot was right where I wanted it and the next 3 were very close. Guess it's going to take another trip to the range to check out the first shot on a clean barrel and a couple more shots with a fouled (but swabbed) bore are still good.

So far it's looking like the Wolf doesn't like a dirty or hot barrel, but may not require a fouling shot before hunting.
It's probably not a good choice for target shooting, but for hunting that first shot is usually the only one needed and it's looking good there!
Heat does effect Sabots. Good rule of thumbs is wait 5 min between shots if you are trying to score a groupl. Better rule of thumb is 15 min between shots.

Sounds like you are dialed in and ready for hunting and the load is going to do what you want to do come hunting season.

What everyone has to remember is that its First shot cold bore on a ML that counts. Not groups. I have never had a deer stand still long enough for me to shoot a group with a ML before and I suspect no one else on this board has either. Call that a hunch

The way I ultimatly determine the accuracy potential of my Ml's is by taking my Ml out to the range COLD on seperate days carrying with me the target that I started with on day one. By shot 5 I should know how all 5 shots COLD are going to fire. USusally the group is MUCH tighter than the group I try to fire in a single range period.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by edwardamason
The way I ultimatly determine the accuracy potential of my Ml's is by taking my Ml out to the range COLD on seperate days carrying with me the target that I started with on day one. By shot 5 I should know how all 5 shots COLD are going to fire. USusally the group is MUCH tighter than the group I try to fire in a single range period.
Sounds like good advice to me!
I'll give that method a try!

I like to load the rifle (powder & bullet) at home and since I live in town a fouling shot isn't possible. I usually just swab the bore (with an alcohol patch) to remove any oil and then run a couple dry patches through the bore before I load. Here a ML isn't legally "loaded" until the cap is on the nipple (or the pan primed), so I can load the powder & projectile and transport it legally.

It does seem like the first shot has always been very close to the point of aim in every range session even though I've tried several different bullet weights. (240, 250, 295, & 300gr)

Wish I could find some BH 209 to try, but no local dealers handle it (yet). I've always got the best accuracy with real BP (Pyrodex a very close second), so I'm just sticking with ffg Goex for now.

Luckily I have a 21" GM "long range hunter" barrel on my T/C Hawken that isn't picky about bullet weight, so all those "failures" in the CVA won't go to waste.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Spike

I like to load the rifle (powder & bullet) at home and since I live in town a fouling shot isn't possible. I usually just swab the bore (with an alcohol patch) to remove any oil and then run a couple dry patches through the bore before I load. Here a ML isn't legally "loaded" until the cap is on the nipple (or the pan primed), so I can load the powder & projectile and transport it legally.

It does seem like the first shot has always been very close to the point of aim in every range session even though I've tried several different bullet weights. (240, 250, 295, & 300gr)

Wish I could find some BH 209 to try, but no local dealers handle it (yet). I've always got the best accuracy with real BP (Pyrodex a very close second), so I'm just sticking with ffg Goex for now.

Luckily I have a 21" GM "long range hunter" barrel on my T/C Hawken that isn't picky about bullet weight, so all those "failures" in the CVA won't go to waste.
I hope you can find some BH209. The Wolf Loves that stuff..

Tony Knight taught me a trick and I have been using it ever since.

Run a dry patch down the barrel with a jag and seat the jag on a empty breech plug. Put a Primer in and pull the trigger on it. There is just enough back pressure on the ramrod to hold. The ramrod will move about 3 inches. Pull the ramrod out. You should have a good size pin hole to large pin hole in the middle of the patch with lots of blackening around the patch. This ensures you have a clean barrel and clear flame channel. I have never had any issues with mis fires using this method. IT WORKS!

Good luck man and happy hunting!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Spike

It sounds like you have tried mostly .451 and .452 diamiter bullets. Mine shoots them well too.

If you find you are not happy with your groups and want something a little bit better. Look for some .458 rifle bullets. My Wolf and My Optima Love the .458 with the Harvester Black Crush Ribbed. It was not substantually better than the .452 bullets but it was a better group.