HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - another try with the Wolf
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 PM
wabi
Nontypical Buck

Default another try with the Wolf

Got some 300gr XTPs today and took the Wolf to the range to test them. Used a target with a 2" diamond center and the first shot from a clean barrel (wiped the oil out before I loaded) was right in the top of the diamond. (sorry no pics, I forgot my camera )
Second shot on a dirty barrel (didn't swab just to see what it would do if I had to reload quickly) was slightly left of the diamond, third & fourth shots (with a swabbed barrel before reloading) were in the diamond.

Then the group really opened up!
Next shot (5th) was 3-4" high left, next shot (6th) again in the diamond, next shot (7th) 2" left. The barrel was getting very warm at that point so I quit for the day since I had to go pick up my son from school.
Now I'm wondering (since the first 4 shots were very good) if maybe the hot barrel is the reason the rest opened up. I was shooting and immediately reloading without giving the barrel time to cool.
I'm encouraged since the first shot was right where I wanted it and the next 3 were very close. Guess it's going to take another trip to the range to check out the first shot on a clean barrel and a couple more shots with a fouled (but swabbed) bore are still good.

So far it's looking like the Wolf doesn't like a dirty or hot barrel, but may not require a fouling shot before hunting.
It's probably not a good choice for target shooting, but for hunting that first shot is usually the only one needed and it's looking good there!