Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
That Quick Second Shot >

That Quick Second Shot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

That Quick Second Shot

Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Spike

Location: Virginia, near the Rappahannock where fresh water turns salty

I practice speed loading my ML and it is very handy. Here in Va you can take more than 1 deer a day. On 4 occasions I've killed 2 deer with my ML from the same stand at the same time from the same herd. Often they do not know where you are and seem confused and mill about. With practice I can load and shoot an aimed shot in 25 seconds from the initial trigger pull.

With shotgun the number of multiple kills at one time is kinda large and I can't really even count them, usually at least once and sometimes 2 or 3 times a season over the last 25 years. In gun season I usually use an 870 or BPS in 12 ga or a Browining Gold in 10 ga. deer are abundant and there is no limit on antlerless and a 3 limit on antlered. Many of the places we hunt the farmers have population control tags and max deer removal is SOP. Hope all have good luck in the upcoming season.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 10 ga
I practice speed loading my ML and it is very handy. Here in Va you can take more than 1 deer a day. On 4 occasions I've killed 2 deer with my ML from the same stand at the same time from the same herd. Often they do not know where you are and seem confused and mill about. With practice I can load and shoot an aimed shot in 25 seconds from the initial trigger pull.

With shotgun the number of multiple kills at one time is kinda large and I can't really even count them, usually at least once and sometimes 2 or 3 times a season over the last 25 years. In gun season I usually use an 870 or BPS in 12 ga or a Browining Gold in 10 ga. deer are abundant and there is no limit on antlerless and a 3 limit on antlered. Many of the places we hunt the farmers have population control tags and max deer removal is SOP. Hope all have good luck in the upcoming season.
My sentiments are pretty much the same for similar reasons.
The wild boar are very hard to control and we need to shoot as many as possible there are a few bear around I have taken 11 and we can take multiple deer in one day our muzzle season starts in the middle of Oct. and lasts 2 to 3 weeks and between that and bow Hunting I usually have my tags for deer filled before Mod gun season and then we have late season. I like that 25 seconds I have not timed myself but have taken 3 deer from the same stand before they split once and have had deer boar and bear as well as coyote and coydog run through after my first shot or someones elses following my shot, it only happens rarely but being ready is the difference between having those extra shots and not.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the chance to use a second shot 2 times, both times I had shot a deer and saw it go down. There were other deer with the one I shot and they all Froze looking around to try and figure out where the danger had came from. Having another Tag for a second deer I was able to reload and take down a second deer.
Also years ago when I hunter with a shot gun I had the same thing happen a couple of time's, each time the deer froze after my first shot giving me a chance for a second one. But with My MLer I have never needed a second follow up shot, the first one did it's job. I also (so far) have not needed a second shot after taking my first for that Big Buck who stepped into view after taking a Big Doe.
BP
Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't load my Knight again until I swab and dry the barrel so I don't take quick second shots with it...I keep two zip lock bags in my shooting vest with small containers of oil, patches and rubbing alcohol for this purpose...It might take me a minute and a half to give the barrel a quick clean and reload...

Now, my .54 flintlock is a different story...I can have her ready to go again in 20 seconds or so...The first two balls in my loading block are patched with .018 ticking...The second two are with .015 ticking, making it easier to load as the fouling increases...

In over 35 years of deer hunting I have used a quick second (and third) shot once, that was last year...The deer was hit well and was down for the last two shots but I'm not going to let them lay there and suffer...