Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Need opinions on the TK 2000 >

Need opinions on the TK 2000

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need opinions on the TK 2000

Old 02-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Need opinions on the TK 2000

Thinking about buying a TK 2000 to hunt turkeys with. I've been told good and bad by people who don't actually own one so my sources are fairly unreliable. I just curious as to what you guys think about them. Looking for the good, bad, and the ugly on this gun. thanks for any input.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I own one and hunt with it. When loaded correctly, it is an easy 40 yard turkey gun. But grit your teeth because if kicks like a mule. And when I say kicks, I mean it. I am not normally recoil shy. But about ten turkey rounds out of my TK2000 and that is all I want to play with.

I shoot 100 grains of APP 2f and then a 3-1/4 shot cup.. one of the harder ones. I then fill an identical shot cut with a mix of #5 & # 7-1/2 shot. Pour that down the barrel. Then my foam over the shot cup to hold the mix together. I use the red primer jacket and a 209 Winchester Primer. My gun also has a red dot on it. Anything inside that red dot circle is done for.

The shotgun is a lot more friendly with the smaller wads for a 12 gauge. Squirrels I shoot 7-1/2 shot on 80 grains of APP 2f and that really knocks the tree rats. It is also my grouse load. I had a pine squirrel in the top of a tall popular tree and when I fired.. he flew out of that tree. He had to be 20+ yards up there.

The shotgun is as easy to clean as any of the other knight rifles with that open breech system. And since I shoot APP I do not have to swab between shots. They are well balanced and come to shoulder quite well. But they have a tight choke. I have an extra full choke for turkey and a modified for grouse. Both work real well.

But let me repeat.. you load that thing hard, and it kicks. I was shooting it one summer and it was T shirt weather. After about eight shots, I did not want to shoot. I was actually flinching.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I am going to switch that red dot out for a 4x32mm Simmons Pro Diamond scope. I want to see if that shotgun can break that scope. I should do that now and shoot it, since I still wear a winter jacket.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had one and agree 100% with cayugad on the recoil part.

It's great for turkeys out to 40 yards or more, but it is equally deadly on the other end if you're sensitive to recoil. I'm not usually recoil sensitive, but the TK2000 had me flinching with just a few shots. Sold it to a friend who loves Knight rifles and he bought a new barrel & stock for his Remington 870 to hunt turkeys the next year.

BTW - I called Knight and asked the max load for T-7. They told me 120gr was safe, and I tried it - ONE TIME!!!!!!!!
Pattern wasn't too blown out, but my shoulder was!
100gr of T-7 works for a good pattern, but it still hurts.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

wabi .... even the thought of 120 grains and a turkey load makes me cringe. Although I was rolling around an olive can one afternoon at 35 yards like nothing. That gun really has some reach. I like to turkey hunt with it but that's because I know I am only going to have to fire it one time...
Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I once considered a MLing Shotgun for Turkeys but I kinda got away from Turkey Hunting, I've taken many Toms over the years but work in the spring has taken it's place.
I have an OLD H&R 10guage with a extra full choke, it's really a goose gun but I mostly used it for turkeys, talk about recoil! I could take down a Tom at 60yds with that baby no problem.
I wish I knew someone who had a BP shotgun as it seems like it would be really fun to hunt turkeys with one. Good Luck!
(BP)
Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

I don't wanna hijack your thread but I was pretty excited when I killed my turkey this year at 62 yards with my Winchester super x2
Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow... 62 yards. That is one long shot for a shotgun.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
Wow... 62 yards. That is one long shot for a shotgun.
I really shouldn't have shot at him, but out of better judgement, it was the last day and he was a big Tom. That super x2 with its 28" barrel and turkey choke is pretty deadly.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Just seen yesterday, On Knights FB page, they say the TK is good out to 80 yards. Here is there post.....

Knock down power confirmed out to 80 yards, the TK2000 is the only way to hunt turkeys this season! Now for sale at Knightrifles.com

Seems truly over zealous but, so are there salesman on this site. What do you expect?

Last edited by Boonechaser; 02-08-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.