Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
That Quick Second Shot >

That Quick Second Shot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

That Quick Second Shot

Old 08-29-2013, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Reloading the gun actually sets my mind at ease and seems to calm my nerves. I know what I have to do and it will actually be faster if I do it methodically and not rush. This also gives the deer time to expire. I have never timed myself, but I would believe it us under 30-40 seconds to reload.

That said, I have used a followup shot twice. First time, I made a kill, reloaded and was able to get a shot at a second doe. Unfortuntaley, I missed.

2nd time, I pulled the trigger on the gun and saw fireworks come out the end of the barrel. I had left the gun inside after a very cold Michigan winter evening hunt. Condensation got into the powder. I was able to reload and the deer actually came back to the area. I was able to take her on the second shot.

I plan on one shot accuracy. Having the ability for a quick followup shot is nice, but not something I will base my entire setup on.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last hunting season was the first time that I needed a quick follow up shot. A little buck walked out about 100 yards away and I missed. I was shooting into some brushy stuff, and whether I hit brush or just plain missed, I don't know. But this buck, rather than high tailing it out of there, turned down the trail to come towards me and kept on walking. In the time it took me to reload he closed to about 30 yards. Had I have not had that follow up shot, it would have been a miss and he would have walked.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of the main reasons i switched from CF to ML for deer was.....i cant remember ever needing a quit follow up shot. I normally wait a minute or two before going to check anyway. I can reload in under 20sec if all my stuff is handy in my stand. I keep it all handy just for that reason and my stand has lots of room.

About 3 years ago i got my first chance at a another shot because one deer in a group would not leave the field after dropping the biggest doe. Normally all i see is a big white tail heading as fast as it can into the woods and i wont shoot a deer at that angle....its just a personal choice after helping field dress one that was shot "up the rear end". It makes a heck of a mess inside and you can lose some very good meat.

Pick your shot placement very well, practice practice practice, take your time and you will almost never need a fast reload. No animal on the planet goes very far or suffers excessively long without a heart and lungs.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Funny this topic should come up. I've rarely needed a quick reload or a second shot. Probably once or twice. But I always reload when tracking a deer I shot at just in case it isn't expired when I come upon it.
One time I jumped a deer and tracked it with the iron sights hoping it would stop but it never did. So I circled the thicket and jumped her again, took aim with my flinter and KABOOM. A clean miss but at the shot she stopped and stood there watching me get out a "speed loader" pour the charge down the bore, seat the bullet, and prime the pan. As soon as I closed the frizzen she had enough and I watched her run away again. But at least my rifle was loaded. Never did get that deer.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Quick seconds... I always feel better being able to get a 2nd load in the barrel - it is just routine for me and a matter of habit.

Someone has already mentioned this but the past year I had multiple deer tags and was able to take advantage of that because I was able to get that second load in...

Why they may not be necessary most of the time - there are advantages... With a TC quick loader available in my pocket - I can normally get the job done in about 30 seconds...

This day I am glad I did...

Plus being another routine for me I never check a suspected dead animal with out a load in the barrel especially if it has horns..
Old 08-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

GM - like your "quit smoking" signature. I've been tobacco free for about 6 years now. Saved a bunch of $$ being able to buy guns and go on hunting trips with what I've saved. That $5 a day adds up fast.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
GM - like your "quit smoking" signature. I've been tobacco free for about 6 years now. Saved a bunch of $$ being able to buy guns and go on hunting trips with what I've saved. That $5 a day adds up fast.

.................................................. ..........................................

Old 08-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Its kinda cool and i like the reminder. If you click on it you can make your own too. You just copy and past the forum "code" it creates and post it in the signature.

Checkout my e-cig thread in the off hunting section. Its working like a champ for me and ive tried everything. I don't crave a real smoke at all anymore and now i think they smell terrible.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/off-...63-e-cigs.html

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-29-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of my hunting is done sitting down in tree stands. Can't reload in most of those stands. After the shot there is usually something dead on the ground below anyway.

A few times i've taken two muzzleloders into the stand. Once killed two hogs very quickly that way.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't mean to hijack, just wanna say congrats to all the ex-smokers among us. I've been smoke free since Jan. 13th, 2010 and obviously I don't mean black powder smoke!

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.