Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Mold

Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Mold

I bought a new mold on evil bay. It is a Lyman Parker Hale Whitworth mold. I had shot this bullet before and it shot as good as anything else I had shot in my White .451. I am always a little aprehensive with online purchases so I was really relieved when I got my package. It was hard to tell if the mold had ever been used and the handles look like new as well.

This is my first Lyman mold and I am really pleased with how it casts. Once the mold got up to temp the bullets dropped out with a consistent weight within a grain of 490. I know they will shoot well, when hunting season is over we'll find out for sure.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

wow....they look great......i got a mold from the bay that said 50 cal...it was a 45-70 bullet .459 405grain......they work great in my .50 with a crushed rib sabot so it work out great lol ...they look alittle like those but not groved as much....i don't have any whites a .451 is a .45cal....what size bullet can you lube and put down? I've never shot a bear bullet other than a r.e.a.l or maxi hunter....really cool looking bullets...longer than a 45-70?...ed
Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

that is a nice bullet. Lyman molds are really good molds. Like you said.. the trick is getting that mold hot and keeping it hot. Lee being aluminum heat up much faster.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I size them to a strong .451. They will just barely engage the rifling when loaded. They are roughly 1.230 inches long if I remember right.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, I only have one Lee mold and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I get some good bullets but it seems like I get a lot more weight variation and a lot more bullets go back in the pot. I still get enough that are plenty good to shoot though. It is the UC short mold.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:59 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I have a couple Lyman moulds and some Lee moulds. I think the lyman moulds are much better. I have often thought about that same mould you got. I'm glad to hear they shoot good. i might just have to find one after all. Nice looking bullets there Art. Should stop anything in its tracks. Now shoot something with one and lets see the results.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Art, that Lyman Whitworth mold will produce great accurate bullets for your .451 White. I had one, but sold it. It was quite accurate out of both of my Whites. When I get back home I'll see what load I used and if I still have the targets I'll post it.

For hunting I think I like my 465gr mold better. I just need to prove it on some unsuspecting Whitetail if I can find them. GRIN

Ed
Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Art, that Lyman Whitworth mold will produce great accurate bullets for your .451 White. I had one, but sold it. It was quite accurate out of both of my Whites.

Ed
Oh yeah I remember that now. I don't need to look for one .