Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Range session and future hunt. >

Range session and future hunt.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range session and future hunt.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Default Range session and future hunt.

Things haven't progressed as quickly as I had hoped. Muzzy season opened this weekend but I chose to sit out and get a range session in instead. I had planned on taking the Lyman GPR 54 cal out but I changed the barrel out and when I went to change the front sight to a Lyman 17 globe sight I accidently buggered it up. What should have been a simple tap in ended up ruining the sight base so I need to get another globe sight in .
The Lyman GPR I built from a kit many years ago but I have had a 1:32 twist barrel on for a long time. I switched it to the 1:60 twist barrel.
This has been my favorite gun for a long long time.

this is the front sight that came on the barrel. Which I don't care for

So instead, I chose to take the Rocky Mountain Hawken (1:65 twist)out since I wanted to shoot in spite of the others not being ready.

I don't like the sights on it at all, but I wanted to shoot.

it has a Gemmer rear sight with sliding ramp elevation. It reminds me of a bb gun sight. I hate it.
But I was surprised at how accurate it was for my old eyes and just a blur back there. At 50 yards with 90 gr pyrodex select, 530 rb , .018 patch it shot one ragged hole. I just may have to let it hunt at 100 yards or less after all.

The Renegade is the main one I wanted to get up and shooting.I finished the stock, got the 58 cal GM barrel ( 1:70 twist)on but didn't get the sights on yet.

I have a Lyman 57 sml rear sight and a Lyman 17 globe front sight for it also but after messing up the sight on the GPR I decided to take my time and not be in a hurry. I plan on having the sights on this week and then spend several days with the Renegade and GPR to see which I can wring the best performance out of.
If I do get the itch to hunt and can't wait til they are finished I will probably take the Rocky Mountain Hawken and keep my shots close. We have 6 weeks so there is no reason to get in a big hurry though.
You gotta love shooting a round ball gun. My wife wants one now sorry about the quality of the pics but all i have is a phone camera

Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking rifles Chet.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Very nice looking rifles..
Old 12-02-2012, 03:14 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Thanks guys. I was really surprised at how well the Rocky Mountain shot. I didn't even work up a load for it. The only load I tried was good enough at 50 for hunting. I imagine for target shooting at longer ranges it will take some experimenting.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dang Chet! that is an awful handsome set of quality firearms you have there.

But! non of them are ? brand so you will not impress the twins.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:50 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Dang Chet! that is an awful handsome set of quality firearms you have there.

But! non of them are ? brand so you will not impress the twins.
if they had a chance to shoot them they would be impressed> Maybe???? For some it takes more than performance to impress i guess.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lets see that New Englander.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets see a filled Tag and some Pics with a Story
Good Luck and May your Shot Be True!
Oh Yea, and those are some great looking MLers!
(BP)
Old 12-02-2012, 06:02 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Lets see a filled Tag and some Pics with a Story
Good Luck and May your Shot Be True!
Oh Yea, and those are some great looking MLers!
(BP)
I won't bore you with a lot of stories but here is a little of how the season is going so far>

My Antelope:

My wifes antelope

My Archery buck for my home state:

Didn't fill my Nebraska archery buck tag yet:

My nebraska rifle tag buck

My home state rifle tag buck

My wife's rifle tag buck

so now I'm doe hunting and so is the wife but three kids have muzzleloader buck and doe tags for Nebraska. And if I get the itch I can archery hunt nebraska for a buck.
I figure 6 doe for the freezer ought to be good, then we quit. We never try to fill all the tags. only what we can eat

Have a great season yourself.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Damn!
(bp)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.