Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady SST Question >

Hornady SST Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady SST Question

Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hornady SST Question

My Accura stacks the 300 gr SST's into a ragged hole at 100yds but I just read that it doesn't perform as well as some on deer. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with them. I shot the Barnes 290gr Spitfire T-EZ and was able to keep them in a 4 inch group at 100 yds. I could use them if they're a better choice on larger deer at longer distances. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I killed my biggest buck with the 300 gr SST and 120 gr of Pyrodex RS. I have never had any issues with the SST. I think they are an awesome bullet. I can't say enough good things about them. If I didn't have a bunch of XTP's setting around that is the exact bullet that I would choose. I dought you will have any issues at all with those bullets. They truly are deadly.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I have never shot a deer with one so I can not comment on personal field performance. Only what I have read. I think with an SST or Shockwave your shot placement is critical. And I am sure you will put that in the right spot.

As for accuracy, I have shot a lot of the 300 grains and find them very accurate. I would also think they would make an excellent hunting bullet and would use one without any concern.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by tkstae
My Accura stacks the 300 gr SST's into a ragged hole at 100yds but I just read that it doesn't perform as well as some on deer. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with them. I shot the Barnes 290gr Spitfire T-EZ and was able to keep them in a 4 inch group at 100 yds. I could use them if they're a better choice on larger deer at longer distances. Thanks for any help.
I think... the only time you might have trouble with them is at close range shooting a soft shot(shooting through tissue & muscle) no bones involved - then you might get a pencil shot... the animal is probably dead but it might take awhile... And the second trouble might happen shooting through a big bone and stripping the bullet. In my mind... it certainly is not a given but could happen once in awhile.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I shot 5 or 6 deer a few years back with sst's. I never had a problem with them . I had great results unlike some of the stories I've read. I wouldn't hesitate to use it if it is accurate in your gun. The Barnes you mentioned is one of my favorite bullets. Definitely can't go wrong with it for sure and you might want to give the 250 gr Bloodlines a try . I been having good results with them last year and this year.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I remember many years ago, I forget what sight they were on.. But a husband and wife were black powder hunters, and for a while they were shooting just about everything with a 250 or 300 grain SST. I think he was called Omega man. And they used to post photos of their hunts and the damage that SST did on the animals they hunted. He used a T/C Omega of course. I want to say they used to be on MM site. But could be wrong. Does anyone remember them? They are probably still around and I just have not seen their posts. I mention this because they were shooting moose, elk, bear, deer, etc.. and never seemed to have a problem with the SST. Then again, maybe my mind has hatched and they were using something different then the SST.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for help guys. I'll stick with the 300 SST's this season and spend some time over the winter trying to work up a load with the Barnes. I'm running out time this year. Spending a lot of time with a bow in my hand. Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used the 200 grain SST quite a bit, and it is one of the best all-around performing bullets that I have tried. I would think the 300 SST would work very well, even though I haven't used it on game. Most people are very happy with SST's - there are a few that claim bad experiences, but most of these are with the 250 grain version.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

Here's my 2012 Terminal Report on the 200 SST. The internal damage was impressive.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...t-200-sst.html
Old 10-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used them on deer and hogs and with a properly placed shot they normally fold with in 10 yards. Any 300 grain bullet with a jacket is going to do the job with proper placement and enough velocity. All these super expensive bullets do a good job also but dead is dead and they can not improve on that. Personally I like the bonded bullets as I am more comfortable wit long angle shot and bigger game like elk, but I used the regular ones for many years over a lot of game and never had a problem. If you don't place your shot well then it is going to take a cannon with an explosive shell to stop them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.