Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Need some help guy's...... >

Need some help guy's......

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need some help guy's......

Old 10-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Hey BP don't let the big bullets bother you any. If you lower the powder charge, they are sweet to shoot. I shoot a 550 gr. lead bullet in my Zouave with only 42 grs. of Goex ffg. Now I know this is a load normally used by the N-SSA guys in their civil war guns, but have had friends tell me that these charges are not *****cats. They will take deer sized game. I do have a friend who hunts with his Enfield 3 band .58 cal. and he only loads 60 grs. of ffg of bp.

Now as to an inline I would look for a load of 240 gr. XTP with about 70 grs. of powder, say maybe Goex Pinnacle or Pyrodex. That should work nicely pal.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

A load I shoot for fun in my Triumph is a 300gr for the 45-70, under 70gr of 2F Goex. Very accurate, under 1" at 100yds, very little recoil. I have not used it on game, because of it being a rifle bullet. But say a 300gr xtp, with a similar load would do the trick.

I have to agree a heavier bullet, moving slower, would be good to go out to 50yards!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got back from Wal-Mart to see what they had for bullets, the smallest ones were the 200gr SST's, they did have some 230gr XTP's too. I've never shot the SST's but I think they were what came with my buddys Triumph but the heavier ones, he had terrible luck with them, any comments on the SST's?
I just dont want to start spending money on a bunch of different bullets that wont shoot well with a low powder charge. I know the only way to tell is to actually try them, again I wa hoping one of you's had a wife who hunted with a MLer and a small load.
I remember my father in law used only 62grs of FFG out of his old TC with a PRB and took some deer with that with no problem under 100yds. But I have to use a saboted bullet because of the Accura has a fast twist rate. Here's another thing I was thinking and I know I should go the lose powder route, but Pyrodox makes a 30gr Pellet, I was thinking of 2 30gr pellets for her?? Her last load was 90grs of pyro rs and the 240gr xtp, the other was 80grs with the xtp. I have 2 mlers set up for her and I dont remember wich one she used last, she has an accura and a cva kodiak, one I worked up a lesser load in for her, I'll have to ask her when she gets home from work tonight wich one she used last.
(BP)
I still have about 3 weeks to get ready for the opener.
(BP)
Old 10-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Breechplug,

I would concentrate on some way for her to support the gun while she is hunting. If she's going to be in a ground blind (as my wife was) she might do well with shooting sticks or one of the adjustable type rests that you can find through Cabela's or other major retailers. Most recoil is felt on the shoulder and not much on the wrists. I think she just needs a good sturdy rest for the gun so she's not supporting the weight with her own wrists and arms. She then should be able to shoot comfortably and accurately with whatever load the two of you decide on. Make sure you have her practice from whatever kind of rest you come up with.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...3Bcat104769180

BPS
Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Does anyone have any Stats on what a 200gr XTP and 60grs of Powder would have for Foot Pounds of energy out to 50yds?
I'm a little late to the party on this one (weekend at the hunting lease). But I just checked my .45 Renegade target file and found a target with .40 XTPs over 60 grains of T7 FFG. The three-shot average velocity was 1566 fps. That load will still be doing close to 1400 fps at 50 yards, and around 1250 fps (with 650+ FPE) at 100.

A 10mm Auto handgun gets something around 1200 fps at the muzzle with a hot loaded 200 grain bullet. So if you would be comfortable shooting a deer at ten feet with a 10mm Auto, you're good to go out to 100 yards with a 60 grain load in a muzzle loader.

Last edited by Semisane; 10-21-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Breechplug,

I would concentrate on some way for her to support the gun while she is hunting. If she's going to be in a ground blind (as my wife was) she might do well with shooting sticks or one of the adjustable type rests that you can find through Cabela's or other major retailers. Most recoil is felt on the shoulder and not much on the wrists. I think she just needs a good sturdy rest for the gun so she's not supporting the weight with her own wrists and arms. She then should be able to shoot comfortably and accurately with whatever load the two of you decide on. Make sure you have her practice from whatever kind of rest you come up with.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...3Bcat104769180

BPS
Funny you should mention that blackpowder smoke, yeaterday I went to our opening day hunting land where the Swamp is and built a ground blind where Connie and I hunted last season on opening day.
She took a nice 8pt that morning, I cut 2 2" diameter ashe trees with a "Y' at the top and put them in a good shooting spot and pushed them into the ground deep so there solid. Also there's 2 big fallen down ceders that are part of the blind that are perfect for resting off, so hopefully that's taken care of.
Connie called a few minutes ago while on her break from work and I asked her what MLer she used last year. Boy did I get it, women never forget anything! She only called me Stupid so that was ok, but she used her CVA Kodiak, it was loaded with a 240gr XTP and a 50 and 30gr Pyro Pellet. She told me to quit telling people she could'nt handle her Mler and that the 80gr load was easy to shoot!
So I guess she's staying with that and OL Breechplugs gonna be hiding when she gets home, never ever talk about your wife behind her back
(BP)
Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you would be fine with 60 - 70 grains powder if you keep the range short. I have used the 200 grain .40 cal XTP on deer with powder charges as low as 70 grains. I took a buck one year at 105 yards with 80 grains T7 and the 200 XTP - the deer was DRT with a double lung shot. From that, I would extrapolate that a 60 - 65 grain powder charge would work out to 50 yards at least.

I have used the 200 SST a fair amount as well. It has worked very well for me with 80 grains T7. I feel that it probably will not open up as well as the 200 XTP at lower velocities, but would probably be okay with 70 grains if the range is kept short.

If you want to stick with the 240 XTP, I think 60 grains T7 or BH would do the job at close range. My hunting buddy's daughter used to always use the 240 XTP with 70 grains of JSG (which is much weaker than T7 or BH) and she took several deer with no problems.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mine used the 50/40 Shock Wave with 60 grains and took a nice buck at 50 yds with it. It did open up it also exited the far side of the chest. She also had just had an operation and we started at 50 grains and she felt she could handle more.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Spike

I would go with the 200 gr SST or Shockwave with the blue sabots. I use them with 80 gr of Blackhorn and the gun is easily shot by a 7 yr old. He even said it feels like shooting the 22 but a lot more noise. lol With 100 gr you can extend your range. More than that your just wasting powder I would think.

You can use the 200 gr 10mm XTP but don't push it too fast. It will come apart on a shoulder hit. The Shockwave is more durable.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

My 9 yr old son took his first doe with his TC Impact in Sept.. He used 60gr of BH209 with a 250gr Barnes TMZ bullet. I was a little concerned that the all copper bullet might not expand well at the lower velocities, the entrance hole on the big doe was a nice round 45 cal circle and the exit hole was larger and ragged so expansion took place. I think that XTP would expand just fine. His shot was at 30 yards and it was a complete pass-thru. I would think 1 50gr or 2 30gr pellets would do just fine with that bullet and recoil would be very light.

Last edited by BuckDoeHunter; 10-22-2012 at 12:08 PM.