Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Need some help guy's...... >

Need some help guy's......

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need some help guy's......

Old 10-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need some help guy's......

After reading (blackpowdersmoke's) thread about his wifes MLer Doe I got to thinking about my wife Connie. As you know she's had a couple of operations on her wrist, this last one was in May and she was out of work for about 6 months. She's had to give up Bowhunting wich she used to love and now Im worried she may have to give up Mling also, her tiny wrist just cant take it anymore.
Our Rifle Season does'nt open untill Nov 17, if she goes she'll use her Accura 50.cal MLer. Im trying to talk her into it as for the last 20+ years or so she's been right along side of me on opening day, minus a year or so when it was pouring rain and I let her stay home.
For my question, what's the smallest load I can load for her that wont have a kick to it and she can still take a deer cleanly out to 50+-yds?
Both she and I have used the 240gr XTP's forever, so if she can still use that bullet that would be great. She wont get out execpt for Opening Day and I'll have to carry her MLer for her.Eveen though her last operation was on her right (trigger) hand, her left wrist is still bad also. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails Need some help guy's......-dsc01036.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ever think of getting her a crossbow? No recoil to speak of, and for her short distance, it should work.

Not sure if you can use one during ML season. You can't here, but you can in rifle season.

Not sure what powder you use for her. If it's BH 209, i'd say 70gr with that bullet.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

My personal favorite bullet for low fps/recoil is the Barnes 45LC-225gr XPB. Its made for 45 Long Colt speeds and expands very easily. I think there is also a 45-200gr XPB but i never tried it. The Speer 45-250gr DC also performs excellent at low fps.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I find that 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 240 grain does not have that much recoil, but then I am a large man so I might not feel it the way a smaller person would. I really hate to suggest anything.

Have you considered say a 200 grain 40cal XTP with a light powder charge? I find them no recoil hardly. And at close range that should do the job.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

All good suggestions BP. Remember that if you go with the xbow you can get a hand crank to reload the bow. I bought one for my bow for up in my climber after the first shot. If you want to stay with the 240 gr. XTP, the BH209 with about 75 - 80 grs of powder would be very mild for the bride. good luck.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's for the replys guy's, a crossbow is out of the question, not legal here. I was hoping for a powder load or around 60grs+- or so and hoping someone on here had had some experience with a light load that still would take a deer cleanly out to 50yds+-. I may look into the 200gr XTP, that sounds like it would do the job with little recoil. Does anyone have any Stats on what a 200gr XTP and 60grs of Powder would have for Foot Pounds of energy out to 50yds?
Thank's!
(BP)
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Breech plug,
Several years ago i think it was the late 80's I had a white mountain carbine. I played around with it quite a bit and developed a load of 53 gr of Pyrodex RS and a 385 gr buffalo bullet and CCI primers and got fairly go accuracy. I actually killed a big doe with that load around 45 yards. I don't think that I would go lower in powder. cayugad has said in a couple of posts about using a heavy bullet and I think he said he used 60 gr of powder. If was to go back to a low powder charge it would be with a heavy bullet. I would think a 300 gr SST and say 60 gr of Pyrodex would do the job as long as you have accuracy. I hope this helps with your delimia.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Breech plug,
Several years ago i think it was the late 80's I had a white mountain carbine. I played around with it quite a bit and developed a load of 53 gr of Pyrodex RS and a 385 gr buffalo bullet and CCI primers and got fairly go accuracy. I actually killed a big doe with that load around 45 yards. I don't think that I would go lower in powder. cayugad has said in a couple of posts about using a heavy bullet and I think he said he used 60 gr of powder. If was to go back to a low powder charge it would be with a heavy bullet. I would think a 300 gr SST and say 60 gr of Pyrodex would do the job as long as you have accuracy. I hope this helps with your delimia.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Have taken a deer with a 50 cal round ball,60 grains 3f,about 70 yards.(1-66"twist.) Took out rib and vertebrae. Trying to work up a light load for a friends inline we had poor bullet performance (recovered from backstop),he used roundball that year but large bullets would have left a wound channel sufficient?given proper placement. Not to crazy about roundball in a fast twist.
Maybe sabots for smallest effective caliber with squab load of powder for her?
Frm an enclosed blind a leadsled or similar on a table or turret would help on recoil,positioning it by herself could be a challenge.

Last edited by monoped; 10-21-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive found it easier to get better accuracy with 50x45s and 200gr bullets than using the 50x40 sabots with reduced charges. Granted you are keeping the shots close so it may not matter very much. 60gr of BH209 will easily beat the fpe of a full power 10mm or Ruger 45LC load at that distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.