Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What Age were You when it started to Change how you Hunted? >

What Age were You when it started to Change how you Hunted?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What Age were You when it started to Change how you Hunted?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What Age were You when it started to Change how you Hunted?

Ol BP turned 50 last Dec 31st, now I know this is'nt OLD but as I get older Im starting to slack some.
Our Archery Season started the 1st of October this year, 2 weeks earlier than the usuall Oct 15th, you'd think I'd have gone Bow Hunting yet, nope.
I just finally took my Bow off the rack tonight and closed my eyes while I pulled it back fearing it would blow up, it did'nt. Our weather has gotten colder and last night we had our first Freeze and there's rain and colder weather in the forecast so I figured I'd better do some shooting.
All went well, I was dead on at 20 and 30yds. After 30++ years of Bowhunting and shooting Bows I guess if you've done it for that long you dont forget too much.
Now onto my point.....back when I was in my 20's and 30's I would'nt miss opening day for nothing, it could be raing and the wind blowing 40 mph and I'd still go out even though I knew chances are I would'nt see anything.. But as the years went by I knew when and when not to go.
Now that Im in my 50th year Im pretty much on the smarter side I think. I know when and when not to go hunting and that the BIG Buck does'nt mean as much to me anymore as does filling my freezer. I now get more of a thrill of just seeing a nice buck and could care less if I get him. Back when I was younger I'd have nightmares if I missed a good buck, now I just say Oh well I'll see him again and if not that's how it goes.
I will try and take a nice buck with my bow, but Im more into my muzzleloader now, I use it during our rifle season and during late muzzleloading season. I always get my deer and fill my freezer but the big buck no longer haunts me like it used to. Do any of you feel this as you get older? Do you find yourself's doing things that you used to put off for hunting season that you now do befor you decide to go hunting?
I dont know if my age has anything to do with this, Im still as good as I used to be and can drag a buck 2 miles through the snow to my truck, I still love to hunt as much as all of you's but lately over the last couple of years Im just slacking it when it comes to hunting. It seems now that I now look more forward to gun season than I do to archery season because I know I'll fill my freezer, have FUN with all the guys and just not have to work so hard at trying to hunt when I dont need to. Anyothers feel like this....I hope so.
Im now more just happy to be able to go hunting then to hunt, and Im now more happy to fill the freezer than to take that big buck. I've taken some nice bucks over the years and now feel content to just hunt and have fun, insted of hunt and tear myself up over not getting that big buck.
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 10-15-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for the mis-spell in the header. I tried to fix it but could'nt.
(BP)
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

To change something in the header, click on EDIT, then click on GO ADVANCED.

I can't remember when I started to slack off because my memory has also slacked off. But my enjoyment quotient has definitely surpassed my energy quotient - and I'm glad.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too used to never miss an opener. I've sit in a tree in some NASTY weather.

For me, I haven't necessarily become more of a slacker, but rather I've become busier. Work has become more hectic and the family life is more involved. Finding time to hunt was a lot easier when I was single. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change a thing, it's just something that you have to adjust to as you grow older and start becoming an adult. My hope is that once the kids get older, they'll be able to join me in the woods and I can start increasing my hours in the woods.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I've become a Smarter Hunter with age, I know when to sleep in, when to make the Wife Happy and when it's time to get the job done.
(BP)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

I made it up to Greene Co. for the opener I could have stayed home and just huntd here within a mile but its different getting away up to the cabin no distractions (honey do this) the only thing the 200 mile drive is getting a little harder now that Im older a young 65 . I have a tendency to get drowsy after 2 hrs or so especially if Im driving around 2-3 am. But at the the cabin Im up and at em out before dawn usually stay out till dusk. Here at home its different I hate getting up early and usually opt for afternoon hunts till dark. Like BP said this year I was late picking up my bow ,I would always shoot a couple of arrows a month just about all year and practice several times a week for the month before opener.This year I got behind and didnt pick up the bow till a week before I was happy to see all was well Im as shaky as ever but the arrow goes where its supposed to. My desire to hunt is still there but its not hard to breathe now when a buck comes into range like it used to be when rifle hunting but getting up close with the bow stills stirs the blood like in the younger years,only problem takes more time to get my climber up 20'.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like low testosterone to me. I'm 63 and I was feeling the same way and my doctor said my testosterone was low so I been getting shots. Actually, I been giving myself shots so I don't have to go to the doctor every 3 weeks. Now, I'm back out there at every opportunity. I don't want to slow down except maybe after a succesful moment (in the field or in bed ) to take the time to enjoy and relish what I just did. I think that's the quality of getting older, being able to do what you use to and have the smarts to enjoy it to the utmost.
I don't hunt bad weather like I use to and sometimes I only hunt the mornings or the afternoons, not both, and I don't have to go ugly early anymore just to insure I satisfy that end of the equation.
Anyhow, do what makes you happy.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

i'm 73 years old and have never slacked off. Slack off and you get fat, lazy and have heart attacks, strokes and all kinds of bad stuff.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Testosterone is overrated

Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
i'm 73 years old and have never slacked off. Slack off and you get fat, lazy and have heart attacks, strokes and all kinds of bad stuff.
I agree totally on this one Falcon. No way am I lazy and Im not fat either. I cut 15 cord of wood out of our woods this summer that I had seasoned from last year. I cut the logs into about 8ft lengths and carry them over my shoulder through the woods to my truck. When I have to use the tractor or Gator to do this then I'll start to feel old.
I guess I should have worded my topic name different. I used hunt in the pouring rain, wind, blizzards ect. but now if I know it's useless to go I stay home. I'll get a call from my buddies and they'll tell me nobody saw a single deer and I feel like I was the smarter one for staying home.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.