Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What Age were You when it started to Change how you Hunted? >

What Age were You when it started to Change how you Hunted?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What Age were You when it started to Change how you Hunted?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Spike

Normally, I would agree with Falcon... You can slack off after you are dead.

But it is easy to go hard all the time when you feel good. For the first time in my young mid-50s life, I just went through a time that I didn't feel good. It was nothing major, just one thing after another (pulled calf muscle (twice), the flu (I think?-which I never catch) and some other stuff which you don't want to hear about...

We've all heard it said a million times before... Your health is everything. It's true and it is easy to take for granted when you always feel good. My grandfather always said getting older wasn't for sissies... (don't entend to offend any sissies).

I missed all but one day of the deer muzzleloader season and the first 3 days of the elk gun season. I finally felt good enough to get back out there yesterday. Walked 2 miles in at 9,500 feet. I huffed and puffed more than normal since I haven't done much in about a month, but it felt great. Beautiful country and great excersize.

But true to my luck lately, the only elk I saw were standing near my truck after dark. But who cares? Just getting back out there was my little victory.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

But it is easy to go hard all the time when you feel good.
Much truth in that one onfoot. That's for sure.

Just wait until you young hard charging bucks under 55 get to your late 60s and you're happy with a good poop.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess I also have learned for experience. If I wake up and its raining - I don't go. (except for turkey - because for some reason they love being out in a light rain) It must keep their dander down and get rid of the bugs that bother them. When I'm archery hunting I seldom still hunt. And in rainy weather I've found that deer don't move too much. But right after a day or two of rain, I try to be out there.
Honestly, I'm out there for the pure enjoyment. If I happen to harvest an animal all the better. But I don't want to get sick or be miserable doing it. Besides, when its wet, I can't hear. My hearing is just about shot.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's much easier to be quiet when it's raining. I never miss it.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Slackin Off

I don't know if it's slackin off or just trying to get it started again. When I hit 50 I thought that I was still in pretty good shape.
When I hit 60 I thought that I was still in reasonably good shape.
At 61 and my 3rd heart attack I new thyat I wasn't as good as I thought. Now that I past 70 (don't count anymore) I realize that every day that I'm above the grass I need to take advantage of it and don't waste the day by slackin off. Life is good, especially when you can get into the woods, even if it's slowly, and see everything that God has put before you.
Today I went to the range to work up a load for that muzzleloader that you guys have been giving me advice on. Great day.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Saturday is the first day of Ft. Sill muzzleloader deer season. The first week is traditional guns only; no sabots or scopes allowed. The temperature Saturday is forecast in the 80s with a 60 percent chance of rain; it will be a warm rain. At least i won't be wiping the rain off the scope.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OLDBOB
I don't know if it's slackin off or just trying to get it started again. When I hit 50 I thought that I was still in pretty good shape.
When I hit 60 I thought that I was still in reasonably good shape.
At 61 and my 3rd heart attack I new thyat I wasn't as good as I thought. Now that I past 70 (don't count anymore) I realize that every day that I'm above the grass I need to take advantage of it and don't waste the day by slackin off. Life is good, especially when you can get into the woods, even if it's slowly, and see everything that God has put before you.
Today I went to the range to work up a load for that muzzleloader that you guys have been giving me advice on. Great day.
This!
I hope to make it to where you are Oldbob! (sooner than I think, God willing)
Old 10-11-2012, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 61 and this year I have only been hunting 4 times so far in the 12 days archery deer season has been in. Even missed opening morning, but did go in the afternoon.
The weather has been a factor in my lack of hunting, though. Just now starting to cool down a bit and I'm not a big fan of hunting in hot weather.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

As I'm now 41 & have 3teenagers I find myself much more "selective" as to when I go hunting for myself. For gun, mzl ldrs I have several shooting houses & double man ladders with roofs so inclement weather hunting is easy during the gun seasons. But I just have grown to abhor bow season in our HOT early bow season here in west TN (theres mosquitoes in my swamp that can arse rape a turkey! & the cottonmouths are big enough to cross a slough atop the backs of! ) & I just in general have grown to HATE bowhunting in warm weather. I spent 2decades sweatin my butt off 20-30ft up trees & ROASTING in blinds to come to the conclusion that that just wasnt enjoyable enough anymore.

For 20yrs I NEVER missed an opening day nor ANY weekends from late Sept-late Jan as I hunted 3 states. But I've outgrown such "needs" anymore. I guess my 38" gut & tired ol back just over rule my desire to climb into 25ft Loc-Ons in miserable conditions anymore.

Plus honestly, after nearly 30yrs of chasing these fuzzy critters I can watch the weather forecasts & tell you which 2 of the 5 days are most likely to be the most productive. (now come rut time, ANYTIME is the best time to be outthere & I might hunt 8 out of 10 days during our prime rut!

I know you cant kill'em while layin in the bed or fishin but I realize its not so important to me to get EVERY HOUR possible out there anymore. I have sons, their friends & my own friends to help in the sport now & thats just as much fun for me than doing it myself! I've killed my P&Ys, broke 150"s with my gun, 25+# Ozark Toms & done alot if other things (took elk, muley & alope out west) so I just dont feel it so imperative to see EVERY SINGLE sunrise/sunset like I used to.

I kinda think to, it aint huntin lazier but instead with age & wisdom its hunting "wiser" & relying more on experience & wisdom than outright luck & simple exposure via time!
HL

Ps
Ive even owned my Savage ML2 for early a decade now & have refused to pickup my previous Knight just because the Savage is more capable & ALOT easier to keep clean!

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 10-11-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know BP, I'm 48 and I haven't slacked off yet. I still go hunting every chance I get. Our bow season opened two weeks early to this year. I have shot 4 hogs and one doe since then. With the price of pork going up they might just come in handy this year. My mom keeps telling me that one of these days I wont hunt like I do now, that day hasn't got here yet. Truthfully I hope it don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.