Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Let's Build A Gun

Old 09-24-2015, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since Bronko mentioned the Swamp Dragon in a recent thread, I thought I might bring this forward for any new guys who might not have seen it.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Semi, I was looking through your build process and wondered if it would not have been easier to make your breech plug out of a modified vent liner? Just a thought anyways... I remember when you built it and I followed along the build and it is a great looking gun. I think the sense of accomplishment would be far greater when it comes to taking an animal with the gun you designed and built yourself.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think vent liners come in a diameter large enough for that Slowburn. Also, they have a hole completely through them. I didn't want that.

There is another barrel mounting option though. That would be to use a long " full thread" bolt screwed one inch into the breech then cut off, leaving one inch of bolt sticking out the rear of the barrel. Then the breech block could be drilled and threaded to receive that bolt, and the barrel screwed into the block.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Semi, lets see some hero pics added onto this thread this season! The dragon is dang near starving to death
Old 09-24-2015, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hear her growling in the closet as I type.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just saw this thread...

...holy cr@p you bring "weekend project" to a whole new level!! Very impressive.

I don't suppose you are available for other custom work?