Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite >

The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys, I just returned home from Michigan and read this entire thread for the first time. I haven't been so entertained since the hornets cornered one of the guys in the hunting club outhouse. Can't understand why it wasn't clear to EVERYONE that a caliber restriction always refers to the gun. For a while there I thought I was reading the notes from an Obama campaign planning session with input from FOX News. I'll likely never hunt Colorado, but If it did I'd use my .50 Renegade and shoot the ramrod to be sure to meet the weight requirement.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
There was no need to call Grouse a liar though. I think you owe him an apology.

So it appears for the 700th time (exaggerating of course) it has been confirmed that you can use Sabots in rifle season. (same thing they told me a year ago) I'm glad that's over now.

Grouse, I'm interested to see how conicals shoot out of it as well. Even if they are the full bore Leighs.
Sabotloader will be shooting conicals out of one before me.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those who are looking to buy a new Knight Mountaineer Ultralite im pretty sure all the testing on Knights part is done. They should be for sale real soon.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't read the whole thread but, why would they do away with a fluted barrel on the mountaineer?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
I didn't read the whole thread but, why would they do away with a fluted barrel on the mountaineer?
This the Ultra Lite model, the whole rifle weighs 6#. The barrel has been contoured to be very thin. I would imagine there is not a enough thickness lft to put the flutes in.

In this picture you can see the difference between the Mountaineer and the Ultra lite

Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks mike, I actually just came back to delete after I seem a thread on the heavy contoured barrel..
Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

The flutes look very nice on The Mountaineer. In my opinion they don't do anything for accuracy or hunting.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The flutes look very nice on The Mountaineer. In my opinion they don't do anything for accuracy or hunting.
I am with you on that grouse, I like the fluted look. But as far as not doing anything for hunting or accuracy, other than lowering weight, and maybe help cool between shots,

what does the contour do? Same as the flutes, just more drastic?

It seems everyone thinks they have items perfected and now the only sale pitch is to lighten. Tenpoint is doing the same with xbows, now we make with carbon and loose a pound. I guess for most of us eastern hunters (mostly stand hunters) I don't see the point to waste another 800 or so to loose a pound. or tenpoints case 2000

But, if that is what a guy is looking for.....
Old 10-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Oh I do have to agree they need to get away from the laminate stocks. I love the grey laminate TH stock on my Mountaineer but, man is it hard to keep from dinging it. Seemed like everytime I came in from a hunt and was cleaning, I had a new one. I for one, hate finding dings in anything after putting that much money in it.

Hell I havent been on their site for awhile. I see they now offer one in an OD green, I may just have to buy it and keep the Mountaineer. I even seen they are offering a lefty version ( I am suprised)

Last edited by Boonechaser; 10-16-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am with you on that grouse, I like the fluted look. But as far as not doing anything for hunting or accuracy, other than lowering weight, and maybe help cool between shots,

what does the contour do? Same as the flutes, just more drastic?

It seems everyone thinks they have items perfected and now the only sale pitch is to lighten. Tenpoint is doing the same with xbows, now we make with carbon and loose a pound. I guess for most of us eastern hunters (mostly stand hunters) I don't see the point to waste another 800 or so to loose a pound. or tenpoints case 2000

But, if that is what a guy is looking for.....
The Ultra-lite is perfect for Colorado, Idaho, Etc. 90% of my hunting does not require an Ultra-lite ML. I mostly sit in a stand or lean up against a tree. Most times no more then 500 yards from a road. Im leaving for Colorado Elk hunting Wednesday. Come Saturday when i start hunting im sure i will love carrying that Ultra-lite up the Mountains instead of my Disc Elite or regular Mountaineer.