Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My CVA ACCURA Is Throwing Shots..HELP >

My CVA ACCURA Is Throwing Shots..HELP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My CVA ACCURA Is Throwing Shots..HELP

Old 09-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default My CVA ACCURA Is Throwing Shots..HELP

CVA Accura
.50 cal
100 grains tripple seven pellets (2)
250 g Barnes T EZ Bullet
209 preimer
Nikon Omega BDC 250
(cleaning gun in between every shot)

Put This Gun Away At The End of the season last year shooting a 50 cent piece at 100 yds. Bought a caldwell lead sled dft this season too fine tune at 200yds and i started shooting where i left off at (100yds) First 3 shots off the sled were a inch off center (50 cent piece)...Next 4 shots 6 inches too the left...from there on i moved the windage adjustment 24 clicks too the rite at 1/4" per click...which then shot 1" right of the bullseye....From their on out i played with it back too the left and ended up back too where i was at (24 clicks to the rite of where i started) Note all shots were on a paper plate at 100 yds...butt this is unnacceptable for both me and the gun coming off a steady rest!
This Just Kinda baffles me on why it would be so off...i take care of this gun and dont bang it around! Ive noticed the barnes T EZ getting a little easier too pack....Is the gun loosening up? Switch too the tighter MZ? thanks for replys!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

The lead sled could easily break your Nikon scope. I would try another scope and see. You could also have plastic build up in the barrel. Flush and clean the barrel with boiling water will get rid of the plastic build up.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Lead sled DID NOT have no weight on it!!! At the end of the day i brushed the barrel with boiling water! also talked to nikon....Great Knowing it has a lifetime warranty!.
First time shooting off the lead sled...i like it...butt did alotta of research when i bought it and not too many had problems with it?????
Old 09-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would be my first guess as well that the lead sled trashed your scope.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would put my money on a very slightly loose scope base screw.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Snugged Everything up...the rings were a touch loose! gonna go back out this weekend with the lead sled!!!!....I guess i dont quite understand how the shooting rest would BREAK the scope?????
Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had posted my opinion before I saw that the leadsled had no weight. If you found a loose ring you probably have found the culprit. Good Luck this weekend.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you didn't also check the base screws you should do so. If the rings were loose the base screws probably are also. The only way to know is to put a screwdriver or allen wrench to them. You can not detect a loose base screw by trying to move the base with your fingers.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The lead sled could easily break your Nikon scope. I would try another scope and see. You could also have plastic build up in the barrel. Flush and clean the barrel with boiling water will get rid of the plastic build up.
I have to agree with Grouse on this. Even with no weight. I am not sure where you got your reviews on the lead sled but if you were to read some of the post in the other firearms forum you will read some horror stories about using the lead sled. Busted scopes and cracked stocks to name a few.
The energy from shooting a firearm has to go somewhere. Normally your shoulder/body absorbs this recoil. The LS doesn't absorb any recoil and it is transferred back into the weapon. And apparently your scope suffered the consequences. If it were my rifle I would discontinue using the LS and count your blessings that using it didn't damage (crack) your buttstock. (check for cracks where it meets the receiver on top and bottom). If your rifle acts up this weekend without the LS you'd be wise to take the scope off and send it back to Nikon for repair or replacement.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

UGGGGGHHHH....Appreciate the Replys....Hopefully I just didnt waste 200 Bucks!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.