Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Sabots?

Old 09-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Sounds like its close to a .504 . Maybe you should slug it and see. But from the sound of it most of those standard saboted bullets will work well.
What was that one you called a 300gr jacketed? I would have need a hammer to get that one down.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Being pretty new to loading sabots. How much pressure is normal to get it down?

I have to use both hands to get it down to a point that I can put my bodyweight on the end of the ramrod. Normal?
That sounds normal. 30-40 pounds is probably average . A tight fit is usually better for accuracy and what you describe sounds about right

Old 09-14-2012, 11:22 AM
1874sharpsshooter

What was that one you called a 300gr jacketed? I would have need a hammer to get that one down.
That's an old original Knight jacketed bullet with the old formula high pressure sabot. I figured if your bore was loose that might work. I think your bore is about average but definitely not loose because all the others loaded the way they should.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, a nice tight fit. Since i'm pushing them out the breech. I can look at the sabots, and they have some deep grooves from the rifling.

Thanks again to both of you guys for sending me some sabots/bullets to try.

Now I need to decide which ones i'm going to buy.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:25 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Yeah, a nice tight fit. Since i'm pushing them out the breech. I can look at the sabots, and they have some deep grooves from the rifling.

Thanks again to both of you guys for sending me some sabots/bullets to try.

Now I need to decide which ones i'm going to buy.
Once you them you will probably know which ones to buy.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you mean once I shoot them?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh man! This was all for nothing, and I don't know why I didn't think about this before.

I knew that if I used a muzzleloader during rifle season that a scope, sabots, and pellets were legal. Those laws only apply for the ML season, but I just thought of another law that might not be, and I just called the DOW to verify it.

One of the laws is you have to use a .45 cal for deer, and a .50 cal for elk. That doesn't change for rifle season. So, using a smaller bullet with a sabot is not legal for elk, unless I started with a .54 cal gun.

Now i'm back to square one.

Dumb law. You telling me a 300gr .45 cal bullet won't kill an elk? Sometimes Colorado is annoying.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Did you mean once I shoot them?
Exactly Not sure what happened

Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Oh man! This was all for nothing, and I don't know why I didn't think about this before.

I knew that if I used a muzzleloader during rifle season that a scope, sabots, and pellets were legal. Those laws only apply for the ML season, but I just thought of another law that might not be, and I just called the DOW to verify it.

One of the laws is you have to use a .45 cal for deer, and a .50 cal for elk. That doesn't change for rifle season. So, using a smaller bullet with a sabot is not legal for elk, unless I started with a .54 cal gun.

Now i'm back to square one.

Dumb law. You telling me a 300gr .45 cal bullet won't kill an elk? Sometimes Colorado is annoying.
If you need a 50 cal bullet for elk then you are back to a conical because even the 54's as far as saboted bullets are not 50 cal.bullets

Old 09-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
That's an old original Knight jacketed bullet with the old formula high pressure sabot. I figured if your bore was loose that might work. I think your bore is about average but definitely not loose because all the others loaded the way they should.
That bullet is probably sabotted with a MMP short black sabot which is .506 and would be awfull tight in a .503-504 bore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.