Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Sabots?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Which Sabots?

Here's the deal. I broke a rib, and won't be hunting the ML season this year. I'll be helping Jon get a bull, but I won't be hunting for myself.

So, I swapped my tag for a 2nd rifle bull elk tag. I'll still be using the MR for the hunt. It's an unusual CVA barrel, because it take s a .502 Thor bullet. This is my 7th CVA, and I never had one that big. It might even take a .503 Thor if I could get it started. I don't have one to try.

The problem is the bore is a bit bigger right over the powder. I'm not comfortable with a loose fit. I wouldn't want it moving off the powder before I noticed it. Not good for the gun, or my health.

So, with all that said. I'm thinking of using a sabot for a tighter fit. It's legal in Colorado for rifle seasons. I'm not up on what fits and what doesn't. I still like the Barnes bullet, but I don't know which bullet and sabot would work in my bore.

I'm also open to any other suggesting. Bull elk are tough, so I want a bullet that will stay together. Of course it has to be accurate too.

Whatcha think?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Here's the deal. I broke a rib, and won't be hunting the ML season this year. I'll be helping Jon get a bull, but I won't be hunting for myself.

So, I swapped my tag for a 2nd rifle bull elk tag. I'll still be using the MR for the hunt. It's an unusual CVA barrel, because it take s a .502 Thor bullet. This is my 7th CVA, and I never had one that big. It might even take a .503 Thor if I could get it started. I don't have one to try.

The problem is the bore is a bit bigger right over the powder. I'm not comfortable with a loose fit. I wouldn't want it moving off the powder before I noticed it. Not good for the gun, or my health.

So, with all that said. I'm thinking of using a sabot for a tighter fit. It's legal in Colorado for rifle seasons. I'm not up on what fits and what doesn't. I still like the Barnes bullet, but I don't know which bullet and sabot would work in my bore.

I'm also open to any other suggesting. Bull elk are tough, so I want a bullet that will stay together. Of course it has to be accurate too.

Whatcha think?
I think you will find the Barnes Tmz 290 gr with yellow sabot to fit good. I could send a couple if you want to make sure before you buy any.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I think you will find the Barnes Tmz 290 gr with yellow sabot to fit good. I could send a couple if you want to make sure before you buy any.
I'd appreciate it. Someone else is sending me a different bullet to see how it fits. I'd like to try the Barnes too.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

MMP Short black or Harvester Red Crushribs if you want to shoot .451-.452 bullets and the Harvester Black Crushrib with .458 bullets should give the best fit in a .502 bore. Those are the ones most commonly used in Savages with loose bores.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks. I've got some testing to do.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
MMP Short black or Harvester Red Crushribs if you want to shoot .451-.452 bullets and the Harvester Black Crushrib with .458 bullets should give the best fit in a .502 bore. Those are the ones most commonly used in Savages with loose bores.
Using .458 bullet in a loose bore makes good sense. Something like the Barnes 45-70 bullet may be very good for elk. The 300g TSX Barnes and a black crush rib sabot, fit the loose barrel Knight Extreme, i own, about perfectly. In my opinion the TSX would make an excellent elk bullet.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, I have some information now. I just tried all the sabot/bullets that were sent to me by Mike and SS.

Bore was squeaky clean with alcohol.

Both Lehighs load firm, but smooth all the way down. I don't even feel the loose (?) spot.

290gr TMZ with yellow sabot loaded really firm all the way down

340gr Dead center with orange sabot loaded firm all the way down.

250gr Shockwave yellow tip with black sabot loaded firm all the way down.

250gr Red Hot with orange sabot loaded firm all the way down.

Not sure what this bullet is? It says 300gr Jacketed with black sabot. Was way too tight and got stuck just a few inches down the bore. I had to pound it back out.

495gr No Excuse almost fell through the bore. way too loose.

Whatcha all think? Will these all load harder after I shoot one with BH 209? Will plastic build up, and do I need to swab?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Ok, I have some information now. I just tried all the sabot/bullets that were sent to me by Mike and SS.

Bore was squeaky clean with alcohol.

Both Lehighs load firm, but smooth all the way down. I don't even feel the loose (?) spot.

290gr TMZ with yellow sabot loaded really firm all the way down

340gr Dead center with orange sabot loaded firm all the way down.

250gr Shockwave yellow tip with black sabot loaded firm all the way down.

250gr Red Hot with orange sabot loaded firm all the way down.

Not sure what this bullet is? It says 300gr Jacketed with black sabot. Was way too tight and got stuck just a few inches down the bore. I had to pound it back out.

495gr No Excuse almost fell through the bore. way too loose.

Whatcha all think? Will these all load harder after I shoot one with BH 209? Will plastic build up, and do I need to swab?
Plastic build up is a non-issue these days if you are using the newer sabots.

Shooting bh should allow you to load any of the .458 with Orange MMP sabots with out running a patch, and if that is the case a regular harvester 45x50 and an MMP HPH-24 (black) 45x50 should load well also. With any of these sabots you should not need to run a patch shooting BH.

I would say that your bore is very close to a standard 50 cal barrel rather than being classified as a tight bore.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I would say that your bore is very close to a standard 50 cal barrel rather than being classified as a tight bore.
Sounds like its close to a .504 . Maybe you should slug it and see. But from the sound of it most of those standard saboted bullets will work well.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Being pretty new to loading sabots. How much pressure is normal to get it down?

I have to use both hands to get it down to a point that I can put my bodyweight on the end of the ramrod. Normal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.