Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Small MR Report

Old 09-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post
Jon already showed enough pictures of the MR. I'll just show one. You can see I changed the hard recoil pad to the one off the Wolf. The scope is 1.5x5x32. Perfect for my timber hunting. I just leave it on 1.5x.

I went to the range, and knew the scope wouldn't be too far off. I took it off the Wolf, so I wasn't starting from scratch. I'm also careful with a cracked rib I got last week, so I just wanted to shoot the minimum shots to sight it in.

The first shot was low right. I adjusted the scope and it barely moved the POI. I did it once more, and it still barely moved. That's three holes which slowly moved towards the bull.

The last adjustment was a lot! I thought it would be way too much, but it turned out just right. I called it good and went home. Elk have a big kill zone, and i'm happy the way the MR was shooting. No sense wasting anymore Thors. The gun is a sweetheart to shoot.

Load was BH 209 90gr 250gr Thor CCI 209M primer 100yds Scope on 1.5X.

I am really confused here. You said you adjusted the scope after each shot? On most scopes 4 clicks = 1" at 100yds so what gives. Was this really a 100yd target? If you really had to move the scope to hit the bull after adjusting between the three shots that are touching it seems like 50yds, 8 clicks = 1". Maybe it was 25yds? Just seems as if something is wrong?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not had many scopes eh?

Shooting range has 100-500yd targets.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

What confuses me is how did he get the target to stay up without peeling it off.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

See the holes in the corners? Thumb tacks.

You going to give me crap too?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Just busting your chops.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post
Shooting range has 100-500yd targets.
What does this have to do with your report?

You said you moved the scope after every shot and it barely moved. Did you really shoot that target? It appears that is a three shot group then an adjustment was made for final shot. Your scope must be really bad since it don't track worth poo.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, it's a cheap Konus scope. It doesn't track very good. It seems most of the adjustments I made finally took effect on the last shot.

The good thing is the scope holds a good zero once it's sighted in.

Do you have two accounts on this forum?

What does the range have to do with what you said? You accused me of shooting at 25yds. Hard to do if there's no 25 yds targets.

Guess what? I give a rats rump if you don't believe me.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 09-15-2012 at 10:39 AM.