Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
White Lightning @ the Farm - Velocities >

White Lightning @ the Farm - Velocities

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White Lightning @ the Farm - Velocities

Old 07-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default White Lightning @ the Farm - Velocities

It was agreat morning here to get a shoot in... cooler and cloudy as it rained like heck here last night.

I have been itching to check the velocity on the sabotless bullets I am shooting from the Lighning. Plus some velocity thoughts had risen about how much powder I might be burning.

I have pretty much settled on 110 grains of T7-3f as my powder load, and I could see no visable signs that I was not burning the powder, the chrono would tell me for sure. The Lightnng is a stubby 22" barrel, so I really wanted to find out myself.

Here are the results of this mornings testing...

I still hate slide and glide sights, but you can see I made a slight windage adjustment after the first few shots. It made me feel a little bit better even though accuracy was not the concern of the moment. I was loading and shooting one shot after another, until Tom walked over and we started talking.

The other part of the mission this morning was to check the condition of the breech area after shooting. It actually surprised me that it remained as clean as it did.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats some good shooting. Nice rifle too.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

nice shooting. At least I know I was burning off that powder the other day. And your rifle stayed much cleaner then mine. So I am guessing it was the breech plug or it was not screwed in tight enough. Thanks.