Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Underhammer Build - Status Report #5 >

Underhammer Build - Status Report #5

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Underhammer Build - Status Report #5

Old 06-28-2012, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Underhammer Build - Status Report #5

Things are progressing nicely. Breech block is complete, side plates are complete, striker is complete, trigger & sear bar are complete. Two items are left, the barrel and the stock & forearm.

I'm now working on installing the breech plug in the barrel, along with the drum & nipple and ramrod pipes.

I plan to use a ten-inch long aluminum tube under the rear section of the barrel to serve as a ramrod pipe. It will be covered by the forearm.

But I shudder at the thought of either cutting dovetails into the barrel or drilling and tapping blind holes to attach the tube. Then I got to thinking about attaching it with the Devcon plastic steel that was used to bed the barrel on the Omega X7.

Would that be strong enough? Would it hold if I want to attach a sling stud to the forearm? A test is in order. But how to test?

Here's what I did.

Devcon plastic steel was used to glue a one-inch section of the aluminum tube to a small piece of the 3/4" plate that was used for the breech block, and left to cure for two days.

Then a rope was attached to the block with a C-clamp, and a steel rod inserted through the tube.

With the rope secured to my deck, I stood on a bathroom scale and pulled as hard as I dared. It did not come apart.

I pulled 120 pounds before quitting for fear of a back injury.

That was only one-inch of attachment. I do think a ten-inch section secured like that "just might" be strong enough for a sling.

Last edited by Semisane; 06-28-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

And the work continues... the one picture of a man working.... bare legs and flip-flops... Comments..
Old 06-28-2012, 07:03 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Semi

And the work continues... the one picture of a man working.... bare legs and flip-flops... Comments..
I noticed the needle on the scale and even if you deduct 120 pounds for the pull I can understand why only the legs from the knees down in the photo. Thanks for sparing us.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems strong enough. Nice legs der.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Us Southern boys are known for the beauty of our legs. And it's too darn hot for anything but shorts and flip-flops.

Last edited by Semisane; 06-28-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Now ou can go to the Enco site and write the first review.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

That stuff would be great for attaching sights. It would be invisible. Put it on, clamp it lightly, then clean any squeeze out with a Q-tip moistened with alcohol.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Semisane
That stuff would be great for attaching sights. It would be invisible. Put it on, clamp it lightly, then clean any squeeze out with a Q-tip moistened with alcohol.
And make sure you got it where you want it , right.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

And make sure you got it where you want it , right.
That's for sure. I don't know if you could remove it with heat - maybe. But I suspect you would have to grind the sight off if you wanted to remove it.

Getting it where you want it shouldn't be a problem though. You have about 45 minutes working time with the putty before it starts to tighten up.

Last edited by Semisane; 06-28-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wood that work on blued steel or would you have to remove the bluing first?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.