Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Off Topic, Walleye Fishing >

Off Topic, Walleye Fishing

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic, Walleye Fishing

Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Off Topic, Walleye Fishing

Well Lake Erie never froze over this winter, My Buddy called and our Walley Team Greg, Mike and Paulie want me to get my waders out and go and try for some walleys befor the season closes on the 15th of this month.
Were gonna wade out and cast some stick baits. There's usually Ice on the Lake now and the Walley start to Spwan by the middle of March, but with no ice and all the walleye close to shore were gonna give it a try. Cant wait untill mid june when we have our first Tournament.
Coyote Season also ends on the 15, we got a few this year but with no snow it was real tough this winter. I've never seen a winter like this ever! This comming week starting tomorrow temps are going to be in the mid 50's and low 60's all week with w early Spring predicted.
Another Weird thing, a bunch of deer were accross the street in my field the other day, 34 in all, there were 5 bucks in with them and ALL of them had there Racks still, they usually shed them by now, much be the Mild Winter as the Bucks did'nt have any stress on them with all the Browse. One good thing is there was a Huge 10 Point in with them, about a 160 class buck, one that I saw last summer but never showed this hunting season, I thought he was killed but the smart Ol Guy musta had a good hiding place.
(BP)
Old 03-11-2012, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

BP, the walleye are running here at Greers Fairy Lake also so far no records this year but some conservation people are friends of mine and they say they have tagged a monster that no one has caught yet. The bucks here have shed and are showing new horns, I found one side of a fine large 10 point shed by my feeder.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Better wear some good insulated long jons BP your gonna freeze your cookies off wading in that lake,good luck. I havent fresh water fished in about 30 yrs I should give it a shot again I used to enjoy picking up those bass and pickerels in the lakes down here,good luck enjoy yourself. Its supposed to be near 70 down here this week, unreal but Im not complaining.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I envy you folks that live in walleye country, it's the best eating fish that swims in any water be it salt or fresh water.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

BreechPlug, do you hunt the coyote with dogs,

You may want to add some different dogs to your kenal if you do. At the Farm they have harvested 37 coyotes this year 2 last thursday and three today. they do have some pups left from one of the 2 dogs they hunt with.

This harvest is around the Marathon Area.

Pm me if you want a link to a facebook page with photos od dead coyotes this year. One of the Hunters has been keeping it updated.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Up-Date, and sorry so late.
Of course it Poured when we were gonna try for them Walleye's, I dont mind a little rain but it was relentless! we did'nt go. So the Walleye Season Closed on the 15th, that will give them there free time to Spawn. Usually the Lake is Froze over wich is good for spawning, but not this year, Lake Erie Never froze over an unusuall Mild Winter. So if the water is rough it will not be a good Hatch this year.
Anytime now I should get my Prize Winning Walleye back from the Taxidermy, 11.31lbs, it cost me $400 so I'll post a pic of it when I get it back.
The weather has been unreal, 80's and sun, I hope we dont get a Cold Snap as it will really Ruin our Grapes, everythings starting to Bud and the Flowers are comming up, we dont usually see this untill mid April, so Im SCARED! let's just hope it syats Warm, or no Frost from now on out.
And NO I dont use Dogs to Hunt Coyotes, I dont even know if it's legal to do here. Were still seeing Bucks with Racks and the Turkeys are going Crazy, they have been mating already, were seeing Toms Strutting all over. Turkey Season Opens May 1st, GOOD LUCK this year as they'll be done breeding by then and you wont be able to call one in with them doing it so early this year.....everythings so screwed up
Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
I envy you folks that live in walleye country, it's the best eating fish that swims in any water be it salt or fresh water.
With the exception of it's smaller cousin, the Yellow Perch

BPS