Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clean Shot Powder

Old 08-22-2003, 09:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Clean Shot Powder

Today I went in the backyard and shot my Hawkins using Clean Shot Powder. I have shot Clean Shot in the past but also used Pyrodex at the same time. This time I shot only Clean Shot. I want to say it functioned fine. There were no misfires, and I loaded it the same measure as I would have Pyrodex Select. I was having no problems plinking pop cans off the fence at 50 yards, and shot a few serious groups also. I was shooting roundball.

I bought three pounds of this when a store in my area went out of business. I am kind of glad that I did now. The main thing is I just finished cleaning the rifle. Instead of the usual water bath for Pyrodex, I used a citrus cleaner on some patches. By the third patch I could not get anything else even looking like dirt out of the barrel. I ran several more patches down the barrel and they all came up clean. This stuff is nice when it comes to cleaning. I scrubbed the rest of the rifle and nipple off and re-assembled the rifle.

If you get a chance, give this stuff a try. I think I will keep shooting it.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Clean Shot Powder

The CleanShot loose powder is good stuff. It is maybe 5% weaker than Pyro RS, but it shoots REALLY clean - cleaner than ANY other powder on the market. I used it until 777 came out. And the reason I switched is because CleanShot is VERY prone to moisture degradation. I had a partial bottle of it go bad literally overnight. One day it shot fine & the next it was all over the page............and I always keep my powders indoors, under air.

I still have an unopened bottle.....holding it ready for a Non-rainy day
Old 08-23-2003, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had one bottle open for sometime now, but have not noticed any problems. I will keep my eye open for that. Thanks for the heads up. Other then that, I did not really noticed the loss of power, although the rifle I shoot is one of them that takes almost any load and shoots well.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

The power difference between the 2 powders is only slight. I found that in order to maintain the same point of impact on a target, I needed 5 to 10gr more CleanShot.....depending on how heavy the bullet was.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I did some checking and you are right Mark. It is a little bit less. I think the chart shows some good information, so I am going to try and upload it to this.