Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I'm stuck... What to do??? >

I'm stuck... What to do???

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm stuck... What to do???

Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm stuck... What to do???

So I have this problem. Well, it's kind of a problem. I have the good fortune of my birthday falling around tax time. I don't ask for a lot during the year, so when my birthday comes I get a little extra. I also sold a gun and may be selling a second in the next couple weeks, so I will get to play a little. Here's my problem - I can't decide what I want to do. My first option is to work on my Pro Hunter. I would like to put a laminate stock on it, maybe buy a .45 barrel for it, a trigger job, and an FP peep sight. If I sell the second gun I also have a .45 Contender ML that needs a laminate stock as well.
My other option (warning - not a muzzleloader) is to buy a bow. I've never really shot a bow, but I'm somewhat intrigued by the idea. The fact that I would go from a 2 week muzzleloader season to a 4 month bow season would be nice. It would also allow me to hunt some major travel routes that I can't with a gun due to proximity to roads and buildings.
So, what would you do?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Typical Buck

I would get a nice bow. Muzzleloading is great don't get me wrong but if you are a hunter and interested in bow hunting then it will be your best choice. I couldn't even imagine only hunting gun season. I don't hunt enough as it is!! Get the bow and then get the Pro Hunter where it needs to be.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

X 2 on getting a bow. I will always be grateful to my brother in law for getting me into archery years ago. It gives me more time in the woods and has allowed me to experience things out there that I never would have if I were limited to only hunting during gun season.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a crossbow.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:03 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

So far that's kind of the way I'm leaning, just have an unsure feeling. But then I never thought I would like muzzleloaders either. I think the difference is I knew people that hunted with muzzleloaders and let me shoot them plenty before I made my first purchase so I knew what to look for and what I wanted. With a bow I'm going in with a somewhat limited budget and not really any idea what I'm looking for. I work with a couple guys that bow hunt, and both said I should try it and I'll like it, but neither are in a real big hurry to help me out with any pointers or anything. So yeah, I just don't like going into it blind.
Here's another question. Hunting with a muzzleloader I usually sit in stand for a few hours, then get real antsy and start stalking through the woods. I have a hard time sitting still. How successful can you be still hunting with a bow?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Get a bow but watch out archery is just as addicting as BP maybe even more so. Getting a deer with a bow gives you a feeling of real accomplishment because you have to practice to shoot the bow good enough to take a deer. You have to set up where you think you will get shot at a deer, usually under 25 yds. It's great hunting.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am able to spend time in the woods from Oct 1 until Feb 30 because I bow hunt.
In my state crossbows are legal and I switched to a Xbow when Arthritics started causing problems in my shoulders. I will say if you are mainly interested in hunting and not target shooting the Xbow is a great choice set up correctly it eliminates the need for a great deal of practice it shoots the same trajectory as a bow with a shorter arrow so it does not carry well for long distance but for up to 35 yards it is a great weapon for deer hunting. I have never lost a deer with mine if you wait until they are in range and standing still you will do well.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
So far that's kind of the way I'm leaning, just have an unsure feeling. But then I never thought I would like muzzleloaders either. I think the difference is I knew people that hunted with muzzleloaders and let me shoot them plenty before I made my first purchase so I knew what to look for and what I wanted. With a bow I'm going in with a somewhat limited budget and not really any idea what I'm looking for. I work with a couple guys that bow hunt, and both said I should try it and I'll like it, but neither are in a real big hurry to help me out with any pointers or anything. So yeah, I just don't like going into it blind.
Here's another question. Hunting with a muzzleloader I usually sit in stand for a few hours, then get real antsy and start stalking through the woods. I have a hard time sitting still. How successful can you be still hunting with a bow?
I would get a bow as well if you are a hunter, as opposed to a shooter. Bow hunting is a lot of fun, and it is great because you can be out in the woods in the early season when the weather is nice and the deer haven't been spooked yet.

Like Lee, I would suggest getting a crossbow at first if it is legal in your state. They are very easy to learn to shoot, and don't take nearly as much practice as a compound. Also, if you get antsy and have trouble sitting for too long, you are far more likely to get a deer still hunting with a x-bow than a compound (don't have to draw back before you shoot).

Having said that, shooting compounds is a lot of fun too, and I love it- just takes a lot more practice to get good. As for your chances getting a deer still hunting- well, it is possible, but I wouldn't place bets on it. I've attempted still hunting with an x-bow, and have had some situations where I ALMOST had a shot, I've never taken one that way.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Bow Hunting is a great sport. I just wish my shoulders were better and that I could pull my fancy compound bow easier. I wrecked my left shoulder and so when I draw the bow, the pain is intense!!! But it was one sport I really enjoyed. The weather was warm, and I could sit in a tree and just enjoy the woods. Also a good bow with practice is lethal to 50 yards.. even more. I always limited my shooting to 30 yards although I practiced out to 40. It made 30 that much more easy. And the accuracy of a good bow with a sighting system ( I used a peep in the string, kisser button, and a very expensive sight of which brand I forget.). Set the sight and hit the release and those arrows just zoom..

Good arrows are also a must. I used Carbon Beemans but some like the aluminum arrows. When you get into bow hunting, I am sure you will love it as you're a real sportsman I feel. Also once you own the bow and arrows, its pretty cheap to shoot and practice. But get a good backstop. One that not only stops the arrows but releases them nice too.

Some of the prices on these new bows are just mind blowing. I purchased mine many years ago and paid what I felt way too much for it. But these Mathew bows are in the $700.00 range for some of them. I might not be able to pull them but I can look. I have considered a compound bow, but no.. not yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.