HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm stuck... What to do???
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 AM
oldsmellhound
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
So far that's kind of the way I'm leaning, just have an unsure feeling. But then I never thought I would like muzzleloaders either. I think the difference is I knew people that hunted with muzzleloaders and let me shoot them plenty before I made my first purchase so I knew what to look for and what I wanted. With a bow I'm going in with a somewhat limited budget and not really any idea what I'm looking for. I work with a couple guys that bow hunt, and both said I should try it and I'll like it, but neither are in a real big hurry to help me out with any pointers or anything. So yeah, I just don't like going into it blind.
Here's another question. Hunting with a muzzleloader I usually sit in stand for a few hours, then get real antsy and start stalking through the woods. I have a hard time sitting still. How successful can you be still hunting with a bow?
I would get a bow as well if you are a hunter, as opposed to a shooter. Bow hunting is a lot of fun, and it is great because you can be out in the woods in the early season when the weather is nice and the deer haven't been spooked yet.

Like Lee, I would suggest getting a crossbow at first if it is legal in your state. They are very easy to learn to shoot, and don't take nearly as much practice as a compound. Also, if you get antsy and have trouble sitting for too long, you are far more likely to get a deer still hunting with a x-bow than a compound (don't have to draw back before you shoot).

Having said that, shooting compounds is a lot of fun too, and I love it- just takes a lot more practice to get good. As for your chances getting a deer still hunting- well, it is possible, but I wouldn't place bets on it. I've attempted still hunting with an x-bow, and have had some situations where I ALMOST had a shot, I've never taken one that way.

Let us know how it goes!