Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bi-pod, shooting sticks or off hand >

Bi-pod, shooting sticks or off hand

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bi-pod, shooting sticks or off hand

Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

i sight the gun in from a bench and hunt without sticks or bipod. About half my hunting is done from stands. Some stands have good gun rests, most do not. Usually its possible to throw my right leg over my left knee and get a decent supported position that way-i'm a lefty.

On the ground, if no rest is available, i plunk my rear on the ground and assume a good sitting position. My longest muzzleloader shot was made from sitting position: A hog at just over 225 yards.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sight in from the bench and shoot off hand, sitting or prone in the field. If my shot was over 200 yards, I would seek some type of aid, but I don't anticipate having that long of a shot and not sure I'd take it if I did. I simply have not had a need for shooting sticks and the like at this point. Perhaps when I'm older and my hands are shakier, I will.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I sight in off a bench. Most all 99% of my shots are taken from a rest weather it be a tree, my knees or a brace off my treestand, I want a good solid rest when I take the shot so I know Im going to be on where Im aiming.
Now if Im sneaking and peaking through the woods and spy a deer and cant get a rest I will shoot offhand out to say 60yds, but I will try and get a solid rest befor I do any off hand shots. If the wind is blowing and I cant get a solid rest I pass on the shot. It's a personal thing and I like seeing a dead solid lung or heart shot on all the deer I shoot.
(BP)
Id say this is what do also but if Im using my Accura instead of the Elite I can use the sticks on the sling like MD uses.