Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore polishing

Old 01-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bore polishing

Everyone has been great with their responses to other questions I have posted. I appreciate the help. My question now is whether or not the new CVA wolf I picked up would benefit from bore polishing. I have not had a chance to shoot the gun yet and I don't want to start any arguments on whether or not its an official bergerra barrel or not. Just looking for some honest feedback and if you think polishing would help, then what method do you use. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

About 4 patches worth of JB (25 long and fast passes with each patch) on a bore brush surely won't hurt and might help a bit.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I would recommend polishing the bore. If you're unsure, look down the bore and see if you can see any imperfections. Run a patch down the bore and see if it looks or feels like it gets hung up anywhere. If there's any rough spots, marks, burrs, etc. then I would say polish the bore.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

And old trick to see if the bore of your rifle is ruff..

In your inline rifle.. Push the muzzle full of cotton balls. Apply a patch behind the cotton balls and then push the cotton balls down the barrel and out the breech. Hold the barrel up to light and look through it. How many fibers do you see holding on to the edge of the bore? If there is a lot, that means the bore is ruff. And it might very well benefit from some Bore Paste worked in it.

JB Bore Paste is the only kind of PASTE I will use anymore. Jewelry rouge paste and cloth are often used as a substitute, but I personally have never used them. The old cleaner your mother used... Comet in powder form can be used. I have used it. Make a thick paste and smear that on a patch and work the bore with that. But that makes a mess. But it does clean up with water.

There is a difference between polishing the bore and lapping the bore. Whether polishing the bore removes metal I can not say. I would not think so. But you are causing friction and so it must have some effect on the metal. Lapping is the removal of actual metal out of the bore. I have had to do that to a few rifles that were given to me or I got snookered on one.. and it did make them turn around and become great shooters.

Most any rifle I own I end up using JB Bore Paste and working over the bore. It makes them smooth, load easier, and removes lead, copper, plastic, and fouling from the inside of the rifle. Clean the barrel first. Then apply gun oil to a patch and swab that bore good. Now apply the bore paste and down and back is one stroke. I like to give them 20-25 strokes. Then if I think it needs more, I change the patch.

Whether your rifle will benefit.. who knows. That is a person decision on your part. You realize that some new barrels might have a few imperfections. And the more you shoot it, the more the imperfections are knocked out of the barrel. Bore Paste just kind of speeds up the breaking in process.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own nothing but CVA's and have for years, now I dont have a Wolf but none of the CVA's I ever owned needed the bore polished, they were all smooth and loaded consistant and even. Even the cheap Staghorn non mag loaded easy.
Befor I did any bore polishing I would do what Dave (cayugad) recommended with the cotton balls, but the real test will be at the range, if it shoots good leave it alone.
Now I know you may have a powder and bullet selected that you're going to shoot out of your wolf, but out of all My CVA's the 240gr XTP shoots the best, I have no problem getting 1-1 1/2" groups at 100yds, I also use Pyro RS and Pyro Pellets with Win W209 and T7 Primers.
(BP)
Old 01-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every rifle i have ever owned. be it muzzle loader or center fire always get's at least 50 passes of JB/oil. gunsmiths use this method for deep cleaning and smoothing out the bores of new barrels regardless of the brand of rifle.i have 2 personal friends that are gunsmiths,they both build custom rifles and use this method..
Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Banned

It never hurts. All my muzzys get anywhere from 60 to 300 strokes with jb bore paste. I like to make sure that all the packing grease is out of the bore and i feel that the jb bore paste does just that.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
It never hurts. All my muzzys get anywhere from 60 to 300 strokes with jb bore paste. I like to make sure that all the packing grease is out of the bore and i feel that the jb bore paste does just that.
JB's to remove packing grease, seems a little harsh to me, a good cleaning would do the same. I also cant believe that you'd JB a Bergara Barrel, but if you prefer to do so than so be it.
(BP)
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Banned

Nor harsh at all, I really do like the jb bore paste for a good solid cleaning of the bore. Maybe 25 strokes to get it all clean and proper. On my patched ball shooters, i can easily go 300 strokes before it finally stops cutting my patches.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Breech ,most gunsmiths apply JB or something like it to clean new or badly fouled bores. it really is a common thing to do and doesn't hurt the rifle in any way, if not over used.

Last edited by builder459; 01-17-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.