Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bi-pod, shooting sticks or off hand >

Bi-pod, shooting sticks or off hand

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bi-pod, shooting sticks or off hand

Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

The main reason I asked was because out here in Montana a tree is not always close by depending on what I am hunting. Bi-pod folded up on gun gives it an off balance feel if need for a quick off hand shot. Shooting sticks seem faster than dropping and extending the Bi-pod. Plus you can still use a tree easily if one is available.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HDMontana
The main reason I asked was because out here in Montana a tree is not always close by depending on what I am hunting. Bi-pod folded up on gun gives it an off balance feel if need for a quick off hand shot. Shooting sticks seem faster than dropping and extending the Bi-pod. Plus you can still use a tree easily if one is available.
I hunt open country a lot also and to be honest most of my shots are taken laying down with a rifle on top of my day pack used as a rest. it's the most stable, but not always a option.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

I sight in using a bench and take most of my shots off hand because most of them are 50 yards or less. However if there is a tree to use as a rest or I can shoot prone I do so. If I was out in Montana I would have a bi-pod and carry some shooting sticks.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

I sight-in/zero on a permanent bench using sand bags. I am thinking about getting a Caldwell Rock Deluxe to replace the fore-end sand bags.

In the field I use the gunrest on my climber and stands when ever possible. I have also used tree trunks and limbs to help steady the shot. Sometimes I shoot off-handed when the situation calls for it.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned

This is what i use in the field.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always sight in using a bench with bags for stability. When hunting I often shoot offhand, I feel comfortable shooting offhand out to 100 yards or so. If it is farther than 100 I use something for stability.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

For the past 2 years I've been using bags of wood pellets as a rest on a table-ultimately, I'm on one knee; really should build a shooting bench... lately I've been practicing more offhand shooting w/ the GPR as it just seems suited to it; it is one thing at 25yds & something different at 50!

Jiminy Christmas, I recall watching Roger Raglin shoot from many positions, including offhand, using the bi-pod mounted to his rifle. He made it seem such a handy thing to have but I never went that way.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sight in off a bench. Most all 99% of my shots are taken from a rest weather it be a tree, my knees or a brace off my treestand, I want a good solid rest when I take the shot so I know Im going to be on where Im aiming.
Now if Im sneaking and peaking through the woods and spy a deer and cant get a rest I will shoot offhand out to say 60yds, but I will try and get a solid rest befor I do any off hand shots. If the wind is blowing and I cant get a solid rest I pass on the shot. It's a personal thing and I like seeing a dead solid lung or heart shot on all the deer I shoot.
(BP)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

I appreciate everyone's input. Has definitely given me some things to think about. I have a sled to sight in on. Considering a good set of shooting sticks. I have a Harris Bi-pod on my 7mm but have always had time to set up since my shots have been out to 300 yards.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I free float my forearm so it will shoot the same in most situations the I make a shooting rail for my stands, when hunting on the ground in close cover I shoot off hand don;t have time to fool with any kind of sticks, when hunting in the open fields where a shot may be well over 100 yds I take a tripod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.