Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Butcher your own or pay? >

Butcher your own or pay?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Butcher your own or pay?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

One place I hunted I had to use coolers with ice, water and vinegar. This would keep the meat cooled down and would also help age/tenderize the meat. It worked, because the meat tasted very good.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
I have taken deer to the locker to be processed and paid the big bucks, too. When the meat locker makes deer sausage, I think that they do it all at once, they don't do Joe's with Joe's deer meat then go to Sam's deer meat for Sam. I think you just get somebody's meat according to how much your deer weighed. Thats OK, I guess, if everybody is careful with the deer before it gets to the locker. I would rather do my own. This year, it got into the 70's when I tagged a small doe and I was five hours from home so I gave it to an old guy that wasn't hunting and wanted some deer meat. If it was a large deer, I would have considered taking it to the locker in the area and had it done just to keep it from spoiling. I am not sure how long a deer carcass will keep with bags of ice in it. I guess the best bet would be to take coolers along and cut the deer up and put the meat in coolers with ice, it would keep that way for several days as long as you kept replacing the ice.
I always thought you got YOUR DEER MEAT with what ever you brought in for your sausage, pepper sticks, summer sausage, ect. But then I found out they do it all in large amounts with everyones meat mixed togeather. At first I was like I DONT want some guy's deer meat that was GUT shot and found a day later mixed in with my perfectly shot and cleaned deer. I asked about this and the people who do our deer are real super picky and wont let any deer meat be mixed in that wont meet there high standards. They inspect each and ever deer that comes in, smell, condition, ect. If they even suspect that the meat is'nt set to there standards they reject the deer from being processed. Like I mentioned earlier in a post they do cows and pigs all year round and during deer season the state comes in and inspects the deer along with there place to make sure all is good.
I trust them and have never had a bad batch of anything. I dont take a-lot of my deer to be processed, just a couple. But I always like it best and like knowing what I have is my own because I know what it has been through and how it was taken and taken care of.
(BP)
Old 12-30-2011, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always done my own butchering. Useally can one deer a year in the pressure cooker & the past few years when I have been lucky enough to get more than one I took deboned meat to the locker & had slim jims & summer sausage made.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always do my own deer, its to expensive to have it done. Also when I do it myself I know that its done like I want it.