Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
2011 long range Desert Mule Deer >

2011 long range Desert Mule Deer

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

2011 long range Desert Mule Deer

Old 11-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Spike

Josmond, this is the desert country around Roswell NM. It's choked with plenty of forkies and little 3x3s. I found this guy while scouting a couple of weeks before. The stalks are real tough with no where to hide from these super sharp little deer, but it's exhilerating when you finally come into range on one.
Jim
Old 11-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Spike

Breechplug, you got it!!! I'm out on the range around 4-5 times with 10-15 shots each before my hunts. I have spent more $ on ammo & powder while getting to know my muzzleloaders than I spent on the guns themselves.
Whe I ranged this guy or at least the bushes he was in @ 208 yds, I was delighted because I knew I had him easily out to 250yds.
I just love long range shooting & hunting with inline rifles. Yes I know that's not true muzzleloading, but these guns rock!!!
Jim
Old 11-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Spike

BigZ, I'm kinda thinkin that. Jim
Old 11-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Spike

Doc, that's all I have for photos. I spent all my cash on bullets & powder for practicing.
Jim
Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jimsmokepole
Doc, that's all I have for photos. I spent all my cash on bullets & powder for practicing.
Jim
HaHa, very good, & it is paying off, I like those long range shots also, (I wish I was better at it) Doc
Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

very nice deer and some excellent shooting on your part. Congratulations.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Spike

Default Another long range deer

Originally Posted by DocD
HaHa, very good, & it is paying off, I like those long range shots also, (I wish I was better at it) Doc

Doc, here is a nice, little 3x3 Mulie I took last year at 236 yds - even further than this years. My deer load in the Bighorn is: 110 grns. pellets pushing a 250 gr. T/C Supergilde bullet w/ yellow sabot. Long range is the goal to aim for. Play around with some of the high end muzzleloaders like Knight or T/C Arms. Once you find an accurate load, you're set. All that's left to do, is to practice, test the penetration of your shot in a ballistics buffalo test to make certain your load has what takes to make a humane & ethical kill, and believe in your shooting. I had 7" of penetration for my deer load and 11" for my elk load both at 210 yds.
I have also taken 5 Elk with my Knight Bighorn. None of them have been under 100 yds.
Longest was a cow at 194 yds. (with a 5x scope of course), and that shot knocked her clean off her toes. I use a 300 gr. Barnes Expander MZ in front of 130 grs of Triple Seven pellets. 150 grs was too much & made the bullet squirrely. At the range, I can stay inside of a 5" circle with that load at 200 yds. all day long.
However, getting there took experimenting with plenty of load combos to find what my rifle liked.
I would highly recommend the Knight Bighorn as an affordable & long range inline rifle. I have also heard good things about the top end T/Cs as 200 yd. guns.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails 2011 long range Desert Mule Deer-jan-25-355.jpg  
Old 11-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

A couple of Beauties! Doc (I am refering to the Deer)

Old 11-25-2011, 08:38 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-31-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Spike

Default jimsmokepole

Jimsmokepole:

What kind of problems are you having with the Knight Mountaineer breech plug? I have the Mountaineer and have had no problem getting the breech plug out. I am using BH209 and Knight breechplug grease. I did use teflon tape on one day shooting and did not have a problem.

What powder are using, BH209, T7, or something else? Are using teflon tape or grease? I hope you get problem resolved?