Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Anyone trying the new PowerBelt AeroLights? >

Anyone trying the new PowerBelt AeroLights?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone trying the new PowerBelt AeroLights?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cost is not an issue. Accuracy is, and it has to load in my my gun. I'd use a Thor, but I can't get one to fit right.

338gr is more than I would normally use, but i'm trying to be safe. I have little doubt than an elk will go down if I can get it within 150yds.

Time will tell.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley maybe cost is not an issue to you. But it is an issue to me. And I am sure it is an issue to alot of other fellows on this forum.

I think you need to learn a little more about cast bullets. It seems like you have had some bad experiences with them.

All I can guarantee you is this. A god quality cast bullet that is properly sized to your bore will shoot every bit as accurate, if not more accurately than your PB's. I would also go as far as saying that longer rang the cast bullets have a definite advantage over the PB's in accuracy. Especially the heavier cast bullets.

Jacketed bullets in CF rifles are not like jacketed bullets in MZ's. Mostly the difference is due to bullet deformation while shooting and loading. However the reason is not real important. The bottom line is cast bullets perform very well(especially in MZ's). It just takes a little extra work to make them do so. And when I cast them they are infinitely less expensive. So I can afford to put a few hundred down range. How much would a few hundred PB's cost?? Tom.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Muley maybe cost is not an issue to you. But it is an issue to me. And I am sure it is an issue to alot of other fellows on this forum.

I think you need to learn a little more about cast bullets. It seems like you have had some bad experiences with them.

All I can guarantee you is this. A god quality cast bullet that is properly sized to your bore will shoot every bit as accurate, if not more accurately than your PB's. I would also go as far as saying that longer rang the cast bullets have a definite advantage over the PB's in accuracy. Especially the heavier cast bullets.

Jacketed bullets in CF rifles are not like jacketed bullets in MZ's. Mostly the difference is due to bullet deformation while shooting and loading. However the reason is not real important. The bottom line is cast bullets perform very well(especially in MZ's). It just takes a little extra work to make them do so. And when I cast them they are infinitely less expensive. So I can afford to put a few hundred down range. How much would a few hundred PB's cost?? Tom.
God makes cast bullets? I'd buy some of those.

Cost is a non issue for me. Is that better?

I have a few problems with the cast bullets I can buy. They fit too loose in the barrels i've tried them in. They start ok, and then almost fall through as they near the powder.

For a .50 cal. They start at 400gr and go up. Going to the 338 PB is a big jump for me. I like bullets in the 250gr range.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm willing to pay extra for a hunting bullet that does an excellent job. Around me, Aerolites are ruiing about $2 per bullet. That's a lot, in fact more than custom bullets like Hawks, Lehighs and Dead Centers. And that's for a bullet with no proven track record..... Hmmm, let me think about that one and get back to u
Old 11-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
God makes cast bullets? I'd buy some of those.

I think he does. But they are the expensive ones. And well worth it. Tom.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another PB story. I cannot comment on bullet placement on this post but since PB are so accurate I find it hard to believe that so many bad shot placements are cause for so many negative field reports on animals shot and lost with PB. This is from another forum I am a member of.

#1 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:38:59 PM Quote Rank: Newbie
Groups: Registered

"I found Mississippi bull nettler today and notice people talking bout panther swamp. I was drawn for the 1st muzzleloader hunt last year and shot a really nice buck. Power belts just didn't do the job. Hindsight is 20/20 on that one. If anyone has heard of anybody finding a big set of horns I would at least like to see them up close one time. I was hunting off the east Levee. Thanks."

Last edited by SJAdventures; 11-14-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not much info there. Just because the bullet is accurate. Doesn't mean the shot was.

A 30-06 is accurate. Does that mean every time a 30-06 is fired. An animal is harvested?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Banned

Heres another Powerbelt story just recently.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=244953.0
Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is that the right link Jon? It didn't say anything.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

my thinking you find what is comfortable for the shooter and what is accurate for the gun.

I am an be leaver in less is more. when I was shooting powerbelts. I top off my set up at 85grs of 2f powders. that is where the load was most accurate and the recoil was not that bad.

after working with conical full time, I came to realize. powerbelts are nothing but an updated pure lead minnie ball and should be treat as such. on the new powerbelt packaging it states an ideal charge, follow that.

an idea for an true upgrade for powerbelt, used an little hard lead alloy could solve the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.