Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Anyone trying the new PowerBelt AeroLights? >

Anyone trying the new PowerBelt AeroLights?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone trying the new PowerBelt AeroLights?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

You feel it performed horrible? There was a large wound. Heavy bleeding. Easy to track. And the deer did not go far. Now granted there was no pass through. And maybe Jon was lucky because of where he placed the bullet. But bullet placement is vital, no matter what bullet we shoot. But I would hardly call that bullet incident horrible. You could have used an XTP for instance and not got a pass through. I am not aruging that there are "better" bullets. Bullets that are designed to pass through. But if as Muley Hunter said, that bullet was made to hit and then open up and devastate the internal organs... I would say it was a success.

So lets say for instance, Jon shot high or further back and the bullet did not take the animal down. Do we blame the bullet or Jon for the poor shot?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

I even aimed for a high lung shot as this seems a common deal that happens in the field where the powerbelt horror stories begins. Turned out to be perfect overall. Hardcore internal damage, huge entrance hole, great amount of blood on the trail.

I'll use any bullet out there and test it. No info on this bullet available that i can find other than mine.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lemoyne
the hard cast bullet which has its place on very big animals which require maximum penetration but is a problem on deer sized animals as they run for a couple of hundred yds and can be very hard to track with that neat round hole that likes to close up.
Yep hardcasts are as bad as PB. Check how bad this hard cast boolit did..

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...php?f=1&t=8021
Old 11-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some don't like Max, but a fired bullet is a fired bullet.

The PB Platinum bullet doesn't look so bad. As good of better than some of the bullets you guys praise.

http://www.maxmuzzleloaderblog.com/2...in-modern.html
Old 11-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Some don't like Max, but a fired bullet is a fired bullet.

The PB Platinum bullet doesn't look so bad. As good of better than some of the bullets you guys praise.

http://www.maxmuzzleloaderblog.com/2...in-modern.html
Bottom line shot placement!!!
No bullet can replace a poor shot period..I think fragmenting bullets were brought out to help people because of poor shot placement..

And as a forum member and I were talking about they are still wild animals right? Every year deer,bears,moose,hogs,elk get harder to kill and you need the wiz bang bullet and caliber to get it done..
Old 11-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

And Muley before you flame me I am not talking about the PB I am just talking in general..
I think MAX has done good work...........I just find it funny how some say PB are trash and they dont do well on game............
Old 11-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of it was from using 150 gr of powder and taking close shots. PB's don't do well if you do that.

It's written right on the PB package to not do that. I guess Bubba can't read.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not going to defend Power Belt Bullets. I have never tried them, and I never will. I am too cheap to shoot an expensive bullet.

But the bottom line is that 50 caliber is 1/2" in diameter. So no matter what the bullet does you have at least a 1/2" hole going in.

Proper bullet placement is key. And a properly placed bullet that is 1/2" in diameter is going to take out a deer. But then that is also a justification to not buy the expensive bullets. And a real reason as to why a 50 caliber round ball is so effective on deer. As well as an inexpensive heavy conical that any hunter can cast. Just ask Corey. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 11-11-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that bullet placement is absolutely necessary. That's why an accurate bullet is mandatory.

PB's are accurate.

Any old cast lead slug...not so much.

Just saying.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

My hunting partner has killed two bulls using the plain lead 405 gr. with 85 gr. of T7. The lead deformed but held together for the most part. He started using the FPB now before his luck ran out. If you must hunt elk with a PB, I would go with the heaviest one your gun will shoot good. As mentioned before there are better bullets that cost less out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.