Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I am just sick

Old 11-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Muley, she group good?
Bragging isn't my style. I'll just say..real good.

Going to 100gr woke them up. BDC reticle works perfect. Much easier than guessing at the holdover.

Now I need some 300gr Thors for the elk.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

yep certainly will do good with the 300gr. Might have to take her up to 110gr though for some extra grunt power!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken 3 deer in the past 3 years with a 295 grain PB, and 80 grains of Loose 777. 2 of them dropped in their tracks, and the other one didnt go over 25 yards and piled up. Maybe its the bullet, maybe not. Wont ever know for sure unless I can find tht deer, and I am 99% sure that he crossed the river and someone shot it. Like I said, I went and talked to the landowner, and he told me that no one was hunting over there today, well then who the hell wasshooting over there?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot at 200 yds, because that's what the range has. I would have preferred 150yds. 200 yds is a long shot. I had to play 8" of windage, and it felt like a light breeze.

I'd like to think I can get closer than 200yds, or i'm not much of a hunter. No wise cracks!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
I have taken 3 deer in the past 3 years with a 295 grain PB, and 80 grains of Loose 777. 2 of them dropped in their tracks, and the other one didnt go over 25 yards and piled up. Maybe its the bullet, maybe not. Wont ever know for sure unless I can find tht deer, and I am 99% sure that he crossed the river and someone shot it. Like I said, I went and talked to the landowner, and he told me that no one was hunting over there today, well then who the hell wasshooting over there?
It was Pluckit! just kiddin pluckit.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
From all i've read. The 295 gr is a better performer than the 245gr. Not just the extra weight. It just seems like a better bullet.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I shot at 200 yds, because that's what the range has. I would have preferred 150yds. 200 yds is a long shot. I had to play 8" of windage, and it felt like a light breeze.

I'd like to think I can get closer than 200yds, or i'm not much of a hunter. No wise cracks!
If we have 200 yard shots, im grabbin your gun
Old 11-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

We can all say maybe the poster(Bigdaddy) made a bad shot, which i doubt! take a look at Slowriders experience with the same bullet on a recovered deer. 2 kill shots with no pass through.let's be realistic about this, if those deer had been shot with a XTP,deep curl, barnes, lehigh or even a full bore lead metplate style bullet, i can about assure you the bullets would have passed through and even if the deer didn't go down immediately, there would have been a good blood trail.if folks feel they must use a PB, at least use the flat point bullets offered by PB and not the hollow point lead, which have no way to control expansion and leads to the problems.
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
If we have 200 yard shots, im grabbin your gun
No problem, but then I get 1/3 of the meat.
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to get into an argument about what shots you heard. But if you are hunting in the woods then shots in the woods can be very very very deceiving. Especially MZ shots. Many times it is very difficult to tell the exact direction of a shot. And the distance is virtually impossible to tell, unless they are right on top of you.

You could have a loud heavy load shot, or a light load shot. Distance is virtualy impossible to tell. It could have been 1/2 mile away. And if the woods was thick enough and the load light enough it could have been 200 yards away. I have seeen it way too many times over the years. Tom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.