Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot Some More BH

Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doug100g
Thats what happened with my omega. I put in 100g of BH and it gave perfect groups at 100 yards and at 150 yards.

So here is another question. Do you experiment with 110g if you are doing great with 100g? Would you feel you are wasting powder?

I just think I am saving money by not going up. Plus, less recoil.

What would be the advantage of upping a load if lets say....your MZ shot good with 90g?

D

It seems to me you should please your self; that is all that matters.

Following is what i believe is the approximate result of using 100g of powder. You never wrote what bullet you are using, so i used a middle of the pack bullet for the calculation. The calculation shows that the bullet does not lack for energy nor ability to fly out to 150 yard.

Now, myself, i use 110g of powder mostly, and for other bullet 120g. My needs are probably different than yours. I use my muzzle loader during our rifle season and muzzle loader season. I never use a center fire rifle. I hunt in thick timber, open timber, marsh, and wide open prairie. Perhaps one day i will kill a deer at 275 yard. Thus far my longest shot is 230 yard. So far this year my longest shot is probably 175 yard or so. My shortest shot this year is about 55 yard. The powder charge used to make the 55 yard shot was 100g. This same powder charge was used to make a much longer shot at an unknown range, guessed at 150 yard, but seemingly longer.

It should be some obvious that large amounts of powder are not really really necessary.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My target velocity for the 300 grain Deep Curl was 1800-1900 fps. I have not shot through a chrono. yet with my load. But I believe I am achieving that velocity with 120 grains of BH. I wanted to stay above 1600 fps which is the approx. velocity of 90-100 grains of powder.

I realize 1600 fps is more than enough velocity. But I was looking fora bit more down range performance from the bullet. And those extra 200 fps help out a good bit at distances past 150. Tom.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
My target velocity for the 300 grain Deep Curl was 1800-1900 fps. I have not shot through a chrono. yet with my load. But I believe I am achieving that velocity with 120 grains of BH. I wanted to stay above 1600 fps which is the approx. velocity of 90-100 grains of powder.

I realize 1600 fps is more than enough velocity. But I was looking fora bit more down range performance from the bullet. And those extra 200 fps help out a good bit at distances past 150. Tom.
Tom, this might give you some ideas about velocities...

Also, I do shoot 120 grains of T7-2f with the 300 grain bullets in my Knights and 110 grains in the TC Omega and Triumph. I am very comfortable with the 120 in the Knight and the results down range. I use the 300 grain bullets for hunting elk and the extra energy generated by the powder charge allows me more options when it comes to longer down range shots...

Last edited by sabotloader; 10-30-2011 at 09:27 AM.