Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Final Post

Old 10-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Spike

Bottom line, I will alway, ALWAYS respect a man who has respect for other people, their property and the law. If a man lives to respect others he will be respected. But some think the world is there chew toy and those people never stop to think about how their actions could effect another man. A lot of guys I know hunt private land to put food on the table, if they lost their hunting privileges because of someone trespassing it would be just wrong.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Well that is sure cheaper than some of the leases around here !!!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

I think I may know where pluckit was coming from. I know around here there are thousands of acres that are owned by people in california and god knows where else and if you track them down at the court house many of these people are no longer even alive or know that they have land, or the land is owned by the oilfield companies and many people hunt these properties because no one knows who they belong to. Many ranchers down here run cows on them since the owners are MIA. But from the perspective of a landowner we had a guy get bad directions wanting to shoot a javelina he had come all the way from Michigan I think. We let him go ahead and shoot one. He came by and showed it to us and was extremely grateful. He called us about 4 weeks later saying thank you again and let us know that it was at the taxidermist. Many landowners jump to conclusions way to quickly and get their feathers ruffled before they even meet the person and get the circumstances worked out. It is usually better to treat the other person like a human not like a mangy dog we have discovered. I personally have even hunted some of the above mentioned land, it is viewed as public property by the entire county because the owners are some foreigner from another state who bought it over the internet and doesnt realize he bought trash land or has even been to the land and bought it so they can say they own a ranch in texas. But I have also ran trespassers off of my cousins land who is very adamant about who is allowed on his property and everyone knows he owns it. From the sound of some of the landowners on this forum many are the shoot first ask questions later personality. But sometimes it doesnt hurt to get there story first. You just might make a damn yankees day by letting them go ahead and hunt after they have spent the money to come down and are just victims of poor directions.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by EndeavorShooter
I stayed out of the original post and don't think I would have come down on you as hard. But you have to know that trespassing is against the law and no self respecting outdoorsman/sportsman/hunter would knowingly do so, once let alone for 30 years.

I agree
1 thing i love about hunting and being in the field,
is no one there to tell you right and wrong,
when you have to make an ethical/moral decision, its just you and your conscience,
trespassing is one of those decisions,
i dont need signs, laws, land owners telling me its their land ,
trespassing is wrong no matter how one tries to justify it.
as for those that claim no ones around,
that doesnt make it right or wrong,
not everyone lives on their property,
absentee ownership doesnt make it Ok to trespass.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by westtexducks
I think I may know where pluckit was coming from. I know around here there are thousands of acres that are owned by people in california and god knows where else and if you track them down at the court house many of these people are no longer even alive or know that they have land, or the land is owned by the oilfield companies and many people hunt these properties because no one knows who they belong to.

whether or not they know they own the property or not (I am betting they do) you know it doesn't belong to you!!!

Many ranchers down here run cows on them since the owners are MIA. But from the perspective of a landowner we had a guy get bad directions wanting to shoot a javelina he had come all the way from Michigan I think. We let him go ahead and shoot one. He came by and showed it to us and was extremely grateful. He called us about 4 weeks later saying thank you again and let us know that it was at the taxidermist. Many landowners jump to conclusions way to quickly and get their feathers ruffled before they even meet the person and get the circumstances worked out. It is usually better to treat the other person like a human not like a mangy dog we have discovered.

Land owners allow hunting or they don't, why listen to usually a BS story, from someone trespassing??

I personally have even hunted some of the above mentioned land, it is viewed as public property by the entire county because the owners are some foreigner from another state who bought it over the internet and doesnt realize he bought trash land or has even been to the land and bought it so they can say they own a ranch in texas.

Then you are as bad as Pluckit and I am ashamed to be grouped in with people like you (that trespass) as hunters!!!

But I have also ran trespassers off of my cousins land who is very adamant about who is allowed on his property and everyone knows he owns it.

So, it is okay for your cousin to run off trespassers but, everyone else should wait to hear their story?? Whats the difference between everyone knowing he owns it, and everyone knowing they do not own the other property?

From the sound of some of the landowners on this forum many are the shoot first ask questions later personality. But sometimes it doesnt hurt to get there story first. You just might make a damn yankees day by letting them go ahead and hunt after they have spent the money to come down and are just victims of poor directions.

Again, its okay for your cousin but, no one else? Maybe you should buy your own property with your money that you worked for and then re evaluate your way of thought. In my experience a man that cares so little about the law, is willing to break more than one! and damn sure doesn't have the respect to treat someone elses property as they should. ie: litter, cut 4 wheel paths thru the property, poach and what ever the hell they want because they just don't give a **** about anything but themselves.

Just my 2 cents.
Your 2 cents isn't worth one!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Cant we all just get along
Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

when it doubt, if you buy a garmin GPS, buy the software, upload your area or entire state if you have the space for it.. its saved my butt a lot this year in new mexico and made going alone very easy.
http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/
Old 10-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am blessed to have 3 family farms that have been in the family since the '60s...

I also get very, very mad when I catch someone else hunting this land...If I had of
wanted them to come on the land, I would have invited them, same as my house...

Unfortunately some have all types of reasons and excuses to hunt out land, even to the
extent of taking a shot at deer in a field when I was in a tree stand actually hunting that very field...

We also had one fool try to tell my brother that it was actually HIS land when he walked under my brother while in a tree stand one morning...
Old 10-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

And as endeavor just proved most are not willing to listen to anyone and treat the offending party like a dog from the beginning and immediately jump to conclusions. And as I have stated not all trespassers are trespassing on purpose some are there by accident because of poor directions. The land I am talking about where people hunt frequently is not posted there are no fences there are just roads. There is nothing on this property.
And my cousin does not just chase off a person without getting at least a little bit of a story. He uses his head and treats people like people until they start acting like animals. And I agree with pluckit you people do jump to conclusions. And for the record I have put many hours into the property we own, built fences, cleared land, you name it and I have been there helping. And no I do not litter I pick up everything and then some. Plus you obviously do not know the situation of the tract of land I am talking about so you are jumping to concussions that it is the same as where you are from, which trust me it aint. And if it was possible to contact all of the landowners on this property I would but it is not physically possible, many of the numbers listed in the court house are null and void they are so old and the owners are not local so you cant track them down that way so people hunt the property because it is impossible to find the owners. Now I can understand blowing your top if you catch them in the middle of shooting your stuff or being destructive of your property or stealing, but if they are willing to be level headed I think the landowner can keep his cool and be levelheaded also. We have dealt with several people and it never gets out of hand. And most of them got bad directions from neighbors or think they are in the right spot and they are not. And all you have to do is point them in the right direction and they are usually grateful and you never see them again. Now to clarify these people have stories that hold water if they spout the name of someone who doesnt own land in the area it is the boot. Compared to if we had jumped to conclusions it could have spiraled down hill quickly but they didnt. Once again just my 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Cant wait to get back to this.........but for now, I'll just check out hunting stuff......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.