Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Accura V2 vs. Optima >

CVA Accura V2 vs. Optima

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura V2 vs. Optima

Old 10-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's pretty clear if it is not stamped "Begara," it's not a Begara barrel. As MD noted from the CVA website:

"Every barrel that we use today is also made in Bergara at our BERGARA BARRELS facility, which, like CVA, is wholly owned by our parent company. "

That DOES NOT mean that all barrels coming out of the Begara plant get to be considered worthy of being called "Begara." There is more the brand name than what factory makes the product. Again, as others noted, Begara barrels are subject to extra steps with regard to polish/finish. I don't know all the steps/inspections/tolerences that are required to be worthy of the Begara stamp but clearly not all the CVA barrels get them, otherwise, they would all have the stamp.

Seiko make Pulsar watches, doesn't mean Pulsar watches are Seikos. Last I heard, Bushnell makes Simmons scopes (same manufacturing plant) and it's clearly a different product.

Word games? Maybe. But they are distinctions.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting. The barrels are made by Bergara, but they aren't Bergara barrels.

I guess Bergara only makes one good barrel, and it's on the Accura. All the rest of them are crap, because Bergara doesn't give a crap about their reputation. OK.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Interesting. The barrels are made by Bergara, but they aren't Bergara barrels.

I guess Bergara only makes one good barrel, and it's on the Accura. All the rest of them are crap, because Bergara doesn't give a crap about their reputation. OK.
Maybe take a deep breath and re-read my post. I think it explains my reasoning fairly well. I even gave examples. To say it again s-l-o-w-l-y, just because a company makes a product at their facility, does not mean that product gets to be considered the same as the company's name brand. Things like fit and finish and source raw materials matter.

And I never stated nor implied that CVA's other barrels are crap, in fact, I'm sure they are not. But they are not Begaras.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Here it comes
I would bet MD has all the correct info since he is a CVA shooter and has several pages of info on his own blog and sight..
And Muley as far as that is concerned is correct as well...

Last edited by donjose; 10-17-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

ive already said what the difference is.

The true bergaras just get extra polishing/honing while the cheaper non bergara marked barrels simply just skip that extra honing/polishing. All CVA bores will run between .500 to .501 and no larger or smaller as they have a certain clearance specs in check.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hubby11
I think it's pretty clear if it is not stamped "Begara," it's not a Begara barrel. As MD noted from the CVA website:

"Every barrel that we use today is also made in Bergara at our BERGARA BARRELS facility, which, like CVA, is wholly owned by our parent company. "

That DOES NOT mean that all barrels coming out of the Begara plant get to be considered worthy of being called "Begara." There is more the brand name than what factory makes the product. Again, as others noted, Begara barrels are subject to extra steps with regard to polish/finish. I don't know all the steps/inspections/tolerences that are required to be worthy of the Begara stamp but clearly not all the CVA barrels get them, otherwise, they would all have the stamp.

Seiko make Pulsar watches, doesn't mean Pulsar watches are Seikos. Last I heard, Bushnell makes Simmons scopes (same manufacturing plant) and it's clearly a different product.

Word games? Maybe. But they are distinctions.
I don't think you're giving Bergara much credit. You seem to think if Bergara isn't stamped on the barrel that's it's an inferior product, or worse. It's not a Bergara barrel. I'm sure all the barrels are made on the same machines, by the same employees with the same material. As I already stated. They need a reason to charge more for the Accura over the Optima. Stamping Bergara on the barrel isn't fooling too many people when they say all CVA inlines have Bergara barrels. It's a sales pitch to make you think you're getting more when you buy an Accura.

Bergara says this about all their barrels. ALL has only one definition to me.

PRECISION STEP THREE – BARREL POLISHING
While most other barrel manufacturers move directly from deep hole drilling to the rifling process, all Bergara Barrels pass through three separate honing spindles. The honing spindles utilize diamond-tipped bits that polish the barrel’s interior surface to a mirror-like finish with a groove diameter deviation of less than 9/1,000 (or .009MM) of a millimeter. It’s the same result that many gunsmiths accomplish by hand-lapping a barrel.

If you see a difference in the bore of the Optima SS barrel and the Accura you have x-ray eyes. You also won't see any difference in accuracy either. I've owned both of them.

My .02
Old 10-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You seem to think if Bergara isn't stamped on the barrel that's it's an inferior product, or worse.
Yes, I do think that not being stamped with “Bergara” on the barrel might mean the barrel is inferior. How much, I do not know. Probably it’s by a small amount as you and MD feel.

I get that a company will rebrand the same product to target a certain price point. Wine is a great example, as you can have three different labels coming out of the same vineyard with the same production process. But it is not always the case that the product is of the same quality. In this instance it seems that at least one process is skipped in the non-Begara barrels. Whether it is a negligible process (as you say) may be up for debate. Begara seems to think it’s a big enough deal to brag about. My guess is that if asked, CVA would claim it’s a worthwhile process.

I think most would consider that safety is the #1 concern. Solely with regard to safety, I can agree that all the barrels coming out of the Bergara facility are the same, assuming the same grade of steel is being used. MD says that’s the case, fine with me.

My .05
Old 10-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it's more CVA bragging about the Bergara barrel than Bergara is. The Bergara stamping on the barrel for the Accura is probably what CVA asked for.

At any rate. If you had the Optima and Accura barrel in you hand. You would see no difference in their looks other than the Bergara stamping. All other marking are the same. Except for Accura/Optima stampings. If you looked at the bore. You'd see no difference. I'd be willing to bet they would measure the same. They both have the material they are made from, and it's the same.

If you shot them both. You see no difference. Both are very accurate.

I think we both agree the safety is the same.

So, if the difference is some extra polishing. (maybe) It doesn't seem to add any accuracy.

I'm buying an Optima, because I see no advantage in the Accura. As a matter of fact. I think the Optima stock is a better design.

This sort of reminds me of a TC Triumph and the Bone Collector. The Traditions Vortek, and the Vortek UL.

Companies need to make money, but I don't like paying for features I don't need.

If someone feels more comfortable with Bergara stamped on the barrel. Pay the extra money and be happy.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Typical Buck

The CVA Electra rifle also features a state-of-the-art Bergara Barrel™ that is
manufactured in one of the world’s most highly respected gun-making regions
-- Northern Spain. These Bergara Barrels™ are made on the most modern and
precise barrel making machines in the world. After precision deep-hole drilling,
the barrel blank is honed to size in a three-step process using diamond-coated
tools. This honing process leaves a finish that is far smoother than traditional
reaming and is ideal for the button rifling process. Bergara Barrels are the highest
quality production muzzleloading barrels in the world and will provide unmatched
accuracy. Please visit www.BergaraBarrels.com for more information.

http://www.cva.com/pdfs/Electra_Print_File.pdf
Notice that a state-of-the-art Bergara Barrel™ that the Electra manual is referring to is a registered trade mark. To me that means that if it doesn't carry the trade mark then technically it's not a Bergara Barrel™.

The Electra was another one of the CVA guns that was touted as having a Bergara Barrel™.
I think that by CVA not having Bergara marked barrels on all of their guns does cause them to lose some market share. We all know that CVA's have some great barrels, but not everyone else knows.
If every one of their barrels was a marked Bergara Barrel™ then I think that they would sell more guns. But it would take more time, money and tooling to hone all of those barrels. And it would raise the price of their guns. Since that extra cost makes enough of a difference for CVA to not do it, then that leads me to believe that it does make a difference to the public that chooses not to buy one because of it.
Only a little difference maybe, but enough of a difference for the OP to ask the question.

Last edited by arcticap; 10-18-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everybody is free to buy the Accura.

CVA will love it.

I might do it myself to get the adjustable trigger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.