Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Missed Almost a Barely >

Missed Almost a Barely

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Missed Almost a Barely

Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Missed Almost a Barely

The first scope with the CDS dial worked so well, i couldn't keep from purchasing another. Received the second a few day ago, and have proceeded to try it out. This morning i felt the urge to try and make a jug movie. Went to a different location for this movie, so i could get further away. This new location allowed for a better angle locating the camera, and also allowed for more zoom to be set on the camera. The truck looks quite close to the jug, but it isn't. A higher zoom setting in the camera makes the jug and truck look closer than they really are.The still from the video is the link to the video.

The load was 105g BH209, 300g Deep Curl, short black Harvester sabot, STS primer. The elevation was about 4900', the temperature was about 65 degrees. Muzzle velocity is about 1890 fps with this load in this rifle.

The range from the rifle to the jug was measured using a laser range finder, the CDS dial was set to that range, and the shot taken.

The hydrostatic shock from just grazing the bottle amazes me.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

What was the range lol?
Old 08-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Nice!! I love the way you see the smoke then hear the sound!!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

That was pretty cool.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the idea of the CDS dial. I think it will work perfectly on a MZ. I ordered a new 4.5X14X40 this afternoon for my Knight LRH. I also ordered 100 of those deep curl bullets. Now I just need to find some powder. Tom.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Nice!! I love the way you see the smoke then hear the sound!!
Me too; can't get enough of it.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
What was the range lol?
The laser ranged 287 yard. The video show about 17 frames from the time the bullet leaves the barrel until it impacts the bottle. The camera takes 30 frames per second. The bullet is in the air about 17/30 second, which is some over half second.

The ballistic calculation by Lee Shooter indicates about 280 yard or more, which is in agreement with the laser since the actual time the bullet is in the air could easily be 17 1/2 frames.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Very Cool!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

For some reason I cannot get it to play unless I download some kind of player it wants me to download.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
For some reason I cannot get it to play unless I download some kind of player it wants me to download.
Your computer probably wants you to install QuickTime player. The download is free. The other day GM mentioned there was a short version of the player that is better to install than the normal larger more complex version. I don't know much about this or that.

Myself, i paid monies for my QuickTime player, so that i can shorten the video my camera makes. It takes me quite a long time to start the camera running, walk over to the truck, drive out to 290 yard, set up to shoot, come back to the target, turn off the camera.......... Lots of blank video gets cut out.