Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thompson Center Impact Scope? >

Thompson Center Impact Scope?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Impact Scope?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 PM
GTD
Spike

Default Thompson Center Impact Scope?

I’m looking at buying a Nikon prostaff Scope 2-7X32mm for my Thompson Center impact. Does anyone else have this set up? I see there are scopes made for muzzle loaders. Would I be better off looking at those instead of the prostaff? Thanks!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have used both Nikon Prostaff (last generation) and Redfield 2-7 and they are both about ideal for Modern ML's. They are light and compact, good low light performance (at middle to lower powers) and enough magnification.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I have that same scope on three muzzleloaders. It is an excellent scope and will serve your needs very well.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can never go wrong with any nikon scope.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I like the Nikon Omega, and that's just what it is a personal choice. Look at them all carefully and pick the one that suits your needs.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Nikon Omega is the one specifically for muzzle loaders.

That being said, I have no experience with the Prostaff that was just released, but I have used the one that's been out for the past few years. The ones that Cabelas has on sale. It' was a decent scope, but it didn't really excel in any specific category. I'd use one on my muzzle loader without hesitation.

At the $160 they normally sold for, I'd not recommend them as there are so many better scopes in that price range, but for the $95-100 Cabelas had them for, they are about the best you can get in that price range. I found the lowlight performance to be worse than I'd have liked, but it decent enough. The glass was really just not great. It was nearly identical in most all lighting conditions to the cheaper $30 Simmons Blazer I was replacing it with. I soon found out that if shooting in the snow that I saw a lot of chromatic aberration with it. This kind of turned me off from it, as even with the Simmons I didn't see this in similar conditions. However, the glass was still plenty decent enough for hunting.

The other complaint I had with it was the turrets. They required a coin or screwdriver to adjust. This isn't a big deal if you set it, and forget about it, but if you are like me and like to adjust them fairly often these things are kind of a pain. Not a major deal killer though.

Now that I've gotten past the bad, the good about this scope is it seems really durable. I wasn't super rough on mine, but I wasn't all that easy on it either and it never lost zero. For the hunting season I used mine it held up perfectly. So it seems to be a solid durable scope if you don't need great glass and great turrets.

I've since upgraded to a Monarch from the Prostaff, and honestly I was a little disappointed in the glass on it too. I honestly don't see much of a difference between it and the Prostaff glass wise other than the chromatic aberration isn't quite as bad, but the glass differences are very very small. However, the tracking is spot on with the Monarch, and it has pretty good turrets. Overall, I feel the Monarch is a better scope, but just comparing the glass, it's not much different.

The Burris Fullfield II's I have, blow both the Monarch and Prostaff away in the glass department, and for the normal price of a Prostaff, I'd highly recommend looking at the Burris, or one of Vortex's offerings. If you are getting the Prostaff on sale though, like I said, it's a great buy for $95-100, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it hunting.

This is an older writeup, but worth a read.
http://opticstalk.com/inexpensive-sc...opic21176.html

It pretty much mirrors my experience exactly.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Personally I like the Nikon Omega, and that's just what it is a personal choice. Look at them all carefully and pick the one that suits your needs.
I have the same one on my T/C Bone Collector. Very clear optics and the BDC 300 reticle is accurate to 200y (farest shot I have taken so far). The 5" eye relief is perfect for my gun.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

i'm a hog hunter and my guns are carried uncased in the truck: Thats hard on scopes. My longest lasting muzzleloader scope was a Nikon Pro Staff 4X. It was a superb low light scope. The scope made it through about 7 years on my CVA StagHorn before it was finally beat to death.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked my scope based on:

Size/power - I did not need too much for a muzzleloader, 4x is plenty IMO, 7x fine, 9x max.

Eye relief - I wanted at least 3.5" to avoid being kissed.

Field of view @ 100 yds - to small and you may have trouble acquiring and tracking a target.

Build quality/customer service/price - all important.

I pretty much agree with hometheaterman's view that unless you are getting them on sale, for $150 there are much better options. Look at the Vortex Diamondback and Viper lines in this price range. Hard to beat the Viper 2-7x32 for $149.

Last edited by hubby11; 08-24-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Spike

G, Yes, Nikon does make a scope specifically for muzzleloaders, as Home said, it is called the Omega. I have one on my T/C .50 and it is very impressive especially with the BDC reticle that allows you really reach out past 100 yards. I have shot mine at the range to 200 yards and grouped 3 inches. I have a couple of friends who use the Nikon ProStaff Series with the BDC Reticle on their ML's as well. I would encourage you to take a good look at the BDC reticle as it will definitely help make you a more accurate shooter.
Also, make sure you check out Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Web-site. It has ballistics for ML's and will give you accurate distances for your BDC Reticle.
Drop me a note if you have any questions.
Guy's thanks for all the great comments on our scopes.
I've only been shooting a muzzleloader for 14 months but sure wish I had started years ago.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...940/C50cal.jpg

Last edited by bman940; 08-26-2011 at 05:20 AM. Reason: forgot pic