Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
double bull blinds >

double bull blinds

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

double bull blinds

Old 08-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been hunting from a ground blind for about 10-12 years. Since I hurt my leg.

At first I was skeptical as well. But I believe I was wrong in being skeptical. You just have to use good common "horse sense" when you place your blind, and brush them in. I have killed several good bucks from mine. And at distances of 20 yards or less.

I bought a Double Bull as the third blind I bought. It is the only one that is still going strong. After about 6 or 7 years of being out all hunting season. The Double Bull I have is exceptional.

All I know is the original owners of Double Bull sold their business to Primos(I think). I do not know if they are building the new DB's to the same standard as the older ones. But check them out. If this new one for $99 has the same quality then let me know. I will definitely buy several for that price. That price is a steal on one of the "qualtiy" DB's. Tom.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like ground blinds, though I've used them mostly for bow hunting, not muzzys. My buddy has a Double Bull blind that he lets me use sometimes, and it is really nice. I've taken 1 deer and 2 turkeys from that blind with a bow. It is amazing how close deer and turkeys will get to the blind without spooking. It also keeps you out of the wind, and allows you more movement. I still hunt tree stands a lot, but like the blind as well.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

I find them to be awesome for spring turkey. We have the shoot thru windows. dress all in black and never had a turkey spot us yet. Only thing bad is sometimes a bear will rip ours to shreads.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

After 30 years of " the blind will just slow me down " I hunted out of one when my daughter started hunting. We had deer walking by the we could literally reach out and touch. Since then, I use a ground blind when I know where I'll be sitting and don't plan on moving. It's nice to be able to sit in a comfy chair and to scratch all the parts that need scratchin.

As I get older, the comfort factor starts to be a bigger deal. No doubt, these blind adds to my comfort and time in the field.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
I have been hunting from a ground blind for about 10-12 years. Since I hurt my leg.

At first I was skeptical as well. But I believe I was wrong in being skeptical. You just have to use good common "horse sense" when you place your blind, and brush them in. I have killed several good bucks from mine. And at distances of 20 yards or less.

I bought a Double Bull as the third blind I bought. It is the only one that is still going strong. After about 6 or 7 years of being out all hunting season. The Double Bull I have is exceptional.

All I know is the original owners of Double Bull sold their business to Primos(I think). I do not know if they are building the new DB's to the same standard as the older ones. But check them out. If this new one for $99 has the same quality then let me know. I will definitely buy several for that price. That price is a steal on one of the "qualtiy" DB's. Tom.

I can not say they are the same quality because i have not seen a older DB. but i will tell you it is better quality than any i have, that i paid 250.00 for..... nicest bind , I have ever seen by far!!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I dont use a Blind but when I Hunt on the Ground I make a Blind out of the Surrounding's so it's all Natural and everything blends in. I however did use a Buddys one Season a few times and Not 1 Mature Deer would come anywhere near it, they knew something was'nt right with it.
It seems where I Live and Hunt if you just Trim a few Branches or change the smallest things a Mature Deer will know it and not come by there anymore. And Yes Im Totally Scent Free when I do this. Also I Hunt a-lot of Thick Cover and it's hard ebough to find a place to set up a Stand let alone try and get a Blind in there somewhere. Now I do have Friends that use them for Turkey Hunting with Success.
Im sure they have there places though.
(BP)
You must have the smartest of smart deer in your area... have never had that issue especially if you brush it in..... i used to make ground blinds to, with surrounding limbs, trees, brush whatever was around but, if you brush these blinds in with the same things, it is a added benefit. I have shot three mature deer from my blinds in the past and two were with a bow..... 2 of the 3 were 4yr. olds and the other was aged by the dnr at 7yrs. old he was a horse 248 field dressed 10point that scored 173 4/8. all within 20yds. and had no clue , what was going on..

173 4/8

147 0/0

Last edited by EndeavorShooter; 08-10-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

For that price, you got one heck of a deal!!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

I never thought I would go to the ground side of deer hunting until last year. I had a friend who keeps harvesting deer in comfort, on the ground, with a heater.

He made these simple points.

1) Heater sends your scent that barley escapes blind quickly upward (hot air on cold days), way above deers nose. Deer can be just a few feet from a ground blind with heater running and not smell or feel threatened by its hum.

2) Movement is concealed. You can bop around (no major noise) and eat, text, dial your scope, stretch, without detection.

3) You can go in supper quit next to a bedding area.

Well, I finally listened and got out of my stands and went to the ground. I had more fun last year harvesting deer than ever before.

My wife and son had more fun to. If your freezing, it ain't no fun.

One thing I discovered in the last 4 years is that deer are constantly looking up. I was getting busted repeatedly at heights of 25-28 feet.

I would watch deer going through the forest looking in the trees. It was then I discovered that deer are becoming aware that their enemy is from above as well.

Thats why I am excited about blind hunting. This year is the first year that I will be in a blind on opening day.

Double bull by Primos is a great blind but there are some others that have come out that would fare good also and set up well.

One secret I leaned from those who use them close to bedding. Is that you can put them there two weeks before you want to hunt without brushing them in. Just put out some molasses or corn or peanut butter within 20 yards.

People have trail camera pics of deer getting used to blinds with a few days.

However, I have set up the day of and threw a few branches on my blind and deer walk right by, look stop, then go back to whatever they do.

If your in a corn field like I was last year, you simply set up in the middle. No brushing in. The deer come right out and will look at you for 30 seconds and go right on eating and forget about you.

Thats how I killed two deer last year in late season.

Here is a nice late season blind

If you want your blind to last many years, and you don't want it to become the home of critters, you don't have to leave them out long. And you can pack them up for the next year.

Last year I never left a blind out over night. But this year I have a new place full of pin oaks and the shooting lanes a real low to the ground and the bedding is within 75 yards. So I will be leaving one...lol

Doug

Last edited by Doug100g; 08-11-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

I usually leave mine out for the season, every year.....down fall, i have spent many mornings fighting mice for my room back and an occasional bird......there are other great blinds out there but, you can tell just by the hub design, there are none equall to a DB.... not only that but all my other blinds including a couple over $200 you can see daylight thru the stitching in the top and when it rains you are getting dripped on all day long....there is none of those stitching in the top of this blind......

as far as not brushing in, i have had deer look at me in a treestand with blue jeans and a sweatshirt on and as long as i hold still, have never had one spook.... I still wear camo most the time so, for the little extra work, i will always brush in.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

I also own this ground blind and it is basically a DB with Gander name on it. After three years it still looks new, does not leak a drop. I use it for hunting and Ice fishing shanty. The material is top notch and the quality is great. I have put it up and taken it down 100's of times and still not a tear. The only thing I had to do was locktite the nuts on the legs (they will come loose over time).

Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.