Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
double bull blinds >

double bull blinds

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

double bull blinds

Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default double bull blinds

Just wandering if there are many ground blind hunters out there.. I was dead against them for years but, about 5 years ago, I hunted for the first time from one of my buddies blinds....have to say I liked it and have periodicly used one from time to time.
I have given as much as 250 for one and they have been nice but, the other day I seen a double bull gunhunter blind on ebay for 99.00 plus 25.00 for shipping. So, I started searching the net and the cheapest I had found one for was 199.00 and checked out double bulls website and seen a msrp of 299.99. So I bidded on the one on ebay and to my suprise won it for the 99.00.....so, I received the blind yesterday and of coarse had to set it up, and check it out...
I truly understand all the hype about these blinds now, it is by far the best qaulity blind, I have seen. But like all things time will tell. But, for out of the box appearence and thought of construction, I feel I got a great deal.
I know this has nothing to do with ml'ing but just wanted to share.. if any one is looking for a good quality blind at a real good price you might want to check it out... I think I seen the guy had some buy it now auctions for 125 + 25 shipping but like I said no one bidded against me and I got mine for 124 shipped.
I will apologize now if there are any typos or? ?? I am sending this from my phone, while I am waiting on my dad at the hospital ( they are so slow) and we are here for a appointment for injections in his back. The appointment was at 8am and they didn't take him back till 10:15...great way to spend a Wednesday morning....
Old 08-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

INRecordBookBuck

I have often thought about the use of a ground blind but have never followed through.

There are times when I would really like to have but I really do not want to pack it and out each trip. In this area it would not survive setting it up and leaving it in place...
Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I too used to be skeptical of ground blinds, but not anymore. I have found them to be a great way to hunt. My only complaint is.. in the middle of a Wisconsin winter, its colder in the blind then outside. No sun shine of course to warm you, and with their liner, you trap moisture from your breath. I've had ice form inside the blind. So it gets humid and of course with no direct sun light on you, cold.

I was in a Wal Mart one day after hunting season was over. And they had a huge display of ground blinds marked down to $19.95 I believe it was. They were Outhouse blinds.. they call them. These are the blinds that come folded as a back pack, you take them out of their pack, throw them in the air and they unfold, being spring loaded, and basically set up. All you do is position them, and stake them down if you want. The inside liner is a carbon scent killer type material. So I purchased two of them.

One I put up in a homemade tree stand that I already owned, and left the top part way off so the sun could shine in on me. Pretty cool up there, out of the elements and deer walking around under you. I had deer stand right at the ladder of the tree stand and never knew I was up there.

One bear season I had a momma bear and two cubs within fifteen feet of me. And let me tell you, that is nerve wracking because you can not shoot a momma bear and she'd go through that blind if she wanted you, like nothing. But she never knew I was there. She'd got any closer though.. I am sure she'd of smelt me suddenly.

One of the outhouse blinds, I would hike into the federal find a good spot, and set up for the day. It amazed me how many deer walked past that blind and never gave it so much as a second look. Others would look it over, but if you sit still they can not see you move because the interior is back and so no shadows of course. I used them bow hunting a lot.

I made the mistake of loaning one blind to a friend that was bow hunting, and never got that back. I should of known better. He is just that kind of a person. You loan it, and he owns it kind of guy. But I still have one left, in the backpack still. They are tricky to fold up but once you get the hang of that, its surprising how fast you can move them.

I am sure you will like that blind. Sounds like a real nice one.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

I understand that......I am lucky enough to hunt private property that is well looked after by the owner and us....so, far in thirty years of hunting his property have never lost a blind. I have lost two stands but, never to theft just a tornad. Well a couple different ones, they love his his land for some reason.....well enough I have seen damage from nine over the years..
Old 08-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love huntin' out of blinds. The Doghouse blind that Cayugad was talking about is a heck of a value. I've always wanted one of the Double Bull blinds but the price always scared me away. You got a good deal on that one IRB, I might have to check those out. Thanks for the head's up!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Cayugad,

My dad gets cold easier in his old age....he started using a mr. Heater propane heater in the blinds on those cold mornings.....he still gets his share of deer... I thought that they would spook deer by smell, sound something. But, according to him, he has not had any spook from them, and like I said he still gets his share for the freezer.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I refuse to use a heater. I wear my Sorrel Dominator Pac Boots, good to -100 below and I have a hand warmer with a heat pack in it for the hands. With enough layering (wool is heaven) I just sit there and shiver until I turn blue in the face... Actually it is my hands and feet that get cold first.

Now granted there have been late afternoons where I sat there and had the shivers, but I refuse to leave. Probably why I've had hypothermia a could times in my life.. Have you ever seen a person in uncontrollable shivers? I have had them and believe me, it is a terrible condition to be in. You shake so hard you can not even walk or talk. When I start to reach that point, I head home.

Now I have friends that use them Mr. Heater Buddies and their in them blinds of theirs without winter coats on. But I was always worried about the sounds and smells from one of them heaters.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Like i said i have always worried too....i have not used one so far and have even sat in a blind of my dads, cold as could be, and there be one in the blind. I still refused to turn it on. But, as i stated my dad still always fills the freezer. Just hasn't put any big bone on the wall in about 5-6yrs. has gotten a couple of decent 3 year olds but nothing big.

But i do love this blind, i think i am going to try to get another. Not sure if you have used or seen the hub style blind. but, in my opinion they are much nicer than the spring ones. i have owned many of the spring ones when they first come out and they are lighter but, i think that is the only plus. this one i bought is for gunhunters, the window is to high for a compound bow. but, since a bad rearend collision ( i was sitting at a stop light and was hit by a guy doing 40) about 6 years ago I get a shooting pain down my arms all the time and am unable to use a compound any longer....last year was my first year with a crossbow and i would rather use a vertical bow anyday, If i could. i fought it as long as i could.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Will sound like a broken record here ... but I had never hunted from a "pop-up" type ground blind until about 5 seasons back. I figured too much trouble, would stand out like a sore thumb, scent would be difficult to manage, too cramped, etc. I have since become a believer. I used one that my cousin had set up in a thicket of 8-10 year old pines. Deer trails every where. Only a few semi-open areas in that planted pine plantation, none with shots more than 75-100 yards clear. First morning I sat in there I had gobs of deer, probably 50 different ones, walk within 5 to 75 yards from the blind. All sides. Never detected me one single time as far as I could tell. It was about 10F at daybreak and near dead clam. I had a small propane heater running wide open all morning. That same winter, I bought a cheap Tee-Pee looking one that worked OK but was very cramped. Two seasons back I bought a Double Bull and have used it a bunch of times. A bit heafty, but a snap to set up. I have killed deer, coyotes and turkey using that blind for cover. As I approach 65, I can see me using it more often !
Old 08-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont use a Blind but when I Hunt on the Ground I make a Blind out of the Surrounding's so it's all Natural and everything blends in. I however did use a Buddys one Season a few times and Not 1 Mature Deer would come anywhere near it, they knew something was'nt right with it.
It seems where I Live and Hunt if you just Trim a few Branches or change the smallest things a Mature Deer will know it and not come by there anymore. And Yes Im Totally Scent Free when I do this. Also I Hunt a-lot of Thick Cover and it's hard ebough to find a place to set up a Stand let alone try and get a Blind in there somewhere. Now I do have Friends that use them for Turkey Hunting with Success.
Im sure they have there places though.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.