Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
This is kinda disturbing... >

This is kinda disturbing...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

This is kinda disturbing...

Old 08-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rafsob
I use BH209 and like it. But this would not phase me in the least. I would load up and shoot some of the real deal, black powder. I use Goex FF in my traditional guns and my guns always go bang. How about going traditional this year and have a load of fun SL?

But for inlines if you must, I would consider Pyrodex RS to be a very superior sub powder.

Now remember this is all my personal opinion.
Why not put the Goex in your inline?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys I remember when MZ seasons started becoming popular. And were springing up all over the country.

MZ started in most states as a "Primitive Weapons" season. Not a single shot season. Not a season for rifles that only load from the bore. But actualy a "Primitive Weapon" Some places have stayed with the "Primitive Season". For example the PA FL season. But even PA has evolved a bit and allowed inlines in their early season.

What happened was the manufacturers were consistently putting pressure on lawmakers to allow more and more advances in MZ's. And those advances made the MZ more and more effective to longer and longer distances.

I remember the fight over scopes on MZ's in many states. Let alone powders that are not Black Powder. Which is the propellant used in "Primitive Weapons".

I dare any one of you to compare your new Knight rifle to a "Primitive Weapon". You guys know better than that. You know the new modern MZ's are not even comparable to "Primitive Weapons".

Personally I have both weapons. And use both where and when legal. But I have no problem with a state that wants to go with the "true nature" of MZ season. And that "true nature" is NO DOUBT "Primitive Weapons". Not a Modern Breakdown MZ with a 4.5X14 Leupold with a CDS dial and a powder that is not even basesd in black powder. Come on!! Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 08-07-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Banned

Lets face it, the only reason a great deal of us shoot BH209 is mainly due to being able to shoot without having to swab the bore clean between shots. I am not a person who gives 2 cents about FPS, i shoot what is accurate and comfortable on the shoulder. Being able to reload on shots 2 and maybe 3 are highly important to being able to dispatch that animal quickly. Less stuff to carry into the field is another big plus.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
wow, are the bow hunters that organized and really that powerful in Montana? Ray
They are in New york.When an early MZ season was proposed in the southern Zone,the bow hunters went bezerk.They did not want to share a week with BP hunters(as they do in Pa) When the storm subsided,the state lengthened the Dec.MZ season to 9 days from 7. By the way,that late season is also open to bow hunters,and they got the same extension.

Charlie
Old 08-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
wow, are the bow hunters that organized and really that powerful in Montana? Ray
Hate to admit it but yes. They are soo damn spolied and get everything first. Bear, Deer, Elk. You name it and they get first dibs. There's even been a couple deer that my family has killed and started cutting up to find a piece of the broadhead in them. I just don't like them very much. Most bowhunters that I have met are stuck up and hate rifle hunters. They get soo mad at me when I'm bear hunting in the fall. Because when I can start hunting bear is when they start elk.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Chasam60
They are in New york.When an early MZ season was proposed in the southern Zone,the bow hunters went bezerk.They did not want to share a week with BP hunters(as they do in Pa) When the storm subsided,the state lengthened the Dec.MZ season to 9 days from 7. By the way,that late season is also open to bow hunters,and they got the same extension.

Charlie
We don't have that problem here in Virginia. Oct 1 starts archery season and it runs for five weeks. Then the next two weeks is MZ season, then the rest is gun season till the first week of Jan. An archer can hunt with his bow all season if he wants.

I personally don't give a schmidt about who is in the woods hunting, with whatever. But in some states these archers can get really anal about their sport.

You want to get me started, just put some dogs in the woods during big game season. Dog hunters on the most part are not very nice around here. I have yet to meet one that has any integrity!

Other then that ain't this heat a biotcha???
Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Lets face it, the only reason a great deal of us shoot BH209 is mainly due to being able to shoot without having to swab the bore clean between shots. I am not a person who gives 2 cents about FPS, i shoot what is accurate and comfortable on the shoulder. Being able to reload on shots 2 and maybe 3 are highly important to being able to dispatch that animal quickly. Less stuff to carry into the field is another big plus.
I am not sure that using a second or third shot can be considered quick.I had to shoot one twice one time,bothered me a lot at the time,I guess it still does.

Charlie
Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rafsob
We don't have that problem here in Virginia. Oct 1 starts archery season and it runs for five weeks. Then the next two weeks is MZ season, then the rest is gun season till the first week of Jan. An archer can hunt with his bow all season if he wants.

I personally don't give a schmidt about who is in the woods hunting, with whatever. But in some states these archers can get really anal about their sport.

You want to get me started, just put some dogs in the woods during big game season. Dog hunters on the most part are not very nice around here. I have yet to meet one that has any integrity!

Other then that ain't this heat a biotcha???
Lucky for us in Colorado, it's illegal to use dogs in big game season. Colorado has some good laws.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cant stand dog hunting big game unless its for coons at night and that isnt really hunting IMO. Pointers for birds, retrievers and others like beagles for flushing rabbits dont bother me.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I cant stand dog hunting big game unless its for coons at night and that isnt really hunting IMO. Pointers for birds, retrievers and others like beagles for flushing rabbits dont bother me.

Hunting for rabbits with a beagle was the first kind of hunting I did with my dad. I was 8 years old, and I loved it. I can still hear that dog when I think about it. Good times when you're 8 years old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.