Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
1st Muzzleloader connundrum... please help >

1st Muzzleloader connundrum... please help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1st Muzzleloader connundrum... please help

Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a few muzzleloaders, both side locks and inlines, the CVA Wolf being one of them. It is a solid rifle and will shoot terrific groups at 100 yards. It should be all you'll ever need, but probably not all you'll ever want. I think it will make a great start to your collection by getting you off on the right foot.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not that the Wolf is horrible, but I'd look at the T/C Impact also.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Groan......

Always with the labels.

What makes a gun "entry level?"

Price, or quality?
Actually both! i have shot a Wolf and it is in fact a entry level rifle as the T/C impact is also. both rifles function just fine. as i have said before i would purchase a Knight wolverine NIB, before i would either of the 2 rifles mentioned. why? overall quality,stock,barrel,trigger ETC is superior to both.does that mean the other 2 will not function and give years of service if taken care of ! nope.have i said the wolf is a nice entry level rifle in the past... absolutely.but it is what it is and nothing more old timer! Ray
Old 07-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't see it. My inlines include two Knights, Accura V2, Optima, Vortek UL, and the Omega.

It took me a little while to realize it, but the Wolf is every bit as good, and better than some of those guns.

What makes a gun good to me is how everything functions. How smooth is the action? How tight do the parts fit? How is the trigger?

The most important part is, how accurate is it?

The next thing is what was wrong with it? Did I need warranty work? Were the problems fixable, or do I have to live with the problem the gun has?

Maybe I got lucky, and got a better than average Wolf, but to me. The Wolf beats out the other guns.

I'm not even a fan of inline muzzleloaders. However, they are more practical than a sidelock for me at my age. I need a gun that's light, doesn't recoil, is accurate, and dependable.

I don't judge a gun by it's price tag. Some guns are a rip off, and some guns are a bargain. The Wolf is a huge bargain.

If a gun with a laminated stock and SS barrel make it a high quality gun? I'll pass. I think they're butt ugly. Performance is what should be important. Not a bunch of fluff that some guys are afraid to scratch. LOL

In my case. The Wolf is an entry level gun (your words), that i'll never have to advance from. You can do much better than a Bergara barrel. The Wolf has one, and it doesn't need to be SS, fluted, or even longer. It shoots just as good the way it is.

btw..The Omega was the worse gun in the bunch.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one is bad mouthing a Wolf that I can see.

Last edited by SJAdventures; 07-08-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

Your wolf has a Bergara Barrel? I thought only the upper end CVA's came with those.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

All CVA barrels are made at the Bergara plant. They simply skip the multi honing process and therefore dont get stamped bergara. Its mainly to keep the cost down when you guy to buy. Both of my Optimas and even 2 of the wolfs we have, their bores look like they got the Bergara multi honing process due to the way they look inside.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

MD are they a lower quality steel? Same thing and some just get a little more TLC?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

Same barrels as the Bergara stamped. Just dont get the honey coating with the multi honing. The Wolf, Optima, Scout, and of course the Elkhorn, Buckhorn dont get the Bergara stamp. Keeps the cost lower.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
No one is bad mouthing a Wolf that I can see.
I know they're not. I'm just not buying the "entry level".

Some guns are inexpensive, because of the quality. Frankly, it's what I was expecting when I bought mine. It was a pleasant surprise to see it's a damn nice gun.

Some guys who might be considering buying a Wolf might be turned off by the "entry level" label it gets on this forum.

I have nothing to gain by pushing the Wolf. I think it's a great gun at any price, and want to share that.

Ok, i've said enough about it. No more Wolf talk.

Except, I like it this much>----->

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.