Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
1st Muzzleloader connundrum... please help >

1st Muzzleloader connundrum... please help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1st Muzzleloader connundrum... please help

Old 07-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Spike

Default 1st Muzzleloader connundrum... please help

Ive decided that I will be getting a muzzleloader. Rifle season in my town is shotgun/muzzleloader only.. and rather than get a slug gun and a muzzleloader, I'm just going to get a muzzleloader.

Ive narrowed my choices down to either the CVA Wolf (@$250 with a scope and the "all the junk you need" kit) or the Savage 10ML (@$350 used..)

I'm not sure that I totally need a scope, since most deer are within 50 yards here...

Is the savage a much better gun? should I just go with the Wolf? I know they will both go bang, I'm looking to buy it once, and use it forever, not buy it use it and upgrade...

Thanks in advance, ad
Old 07-07-2011, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you can get a Savage for $350 used in good condition you better grab it. Even if you dont like it, you should be able to resell it at a profit and its a very strong gun. A bit heavy for my tastes but rock solid. The "tupperware" stocks are a bit flimsy but there are many replacement options including some Boyds for under $100.

The Savage can also handle smokeless loads if you are comfortable using them. The 1-24 twist is also a plus in my book. On one of the other boards guys that convert their 50cals to 45cals often sell their old 50cal barrels for well under $100. Replacing the barrel on a Savage is fairly easy with the proper barrel nut wrench.

BTW if you dont take the Savage, i will buy it if you PM me the info and its in very good condition.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-07-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

The savage is a good strong gun. Some like the Wolf but I prefer a bit more quality.
This time of year prices are down around here I don't know where you live but if your state laws allow smokeless you may want to consider that.
Look around you might find an Omega or a Triumph in good shape used.
Some things to look for if you buy used: check the bore carefully with a good light if its rusted up don't buy make sure the action and the safety work right **** it and push hard on the hammer if you can make it go off with out pulling the trigger its not safe. There are people out there that are the opposite of a good gunsmith that butcher trigger jobs and make guns unsafe.
The highest quality brands are TC, knight after that you have CVA and well I won't go there. If you have a muzzle loading club in the area you would benefit greatly by having some one show you the best ways to clean and load your gun there are little tricks to keep them working right in inclement weather. No matter what powder you use clean the gun and oil it before the day is over some powders are very corrosive and all powders burn hot enough to remove the protecting oil from the inside of the barrel.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

You won't be sorry for buying the Wolf. I've been hunting and shooting guns for 60 years. I can afford the best guns made. I don't see the sense to it.

I just bought the new Wolf with Konus scope. I was beyond impressed with it. Fit and finish was perfect. Everything is tight and smooth. The trigger is crisp with no creep. The scope is as clear as any scope i've owned, and i've had Leupolds.

It shoots BH 209 with no alterations. Recoil is light compared to other inlines i've had.

The best and most important part is it shoots sub MOA @100yds. I'm willing to back that up for anyone who wants to see it. My load is 100gr BH 209, CCI 209M primer, and 250gr Thor bullet.

I see many deer and elk in this guns future.

We all have our opinion of quality, and mine is based on performance. Not what it costs.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

People looking for entry level muzzle loaders at a good price, should look at the T/C impact or the CVA wolf. go to a local store and handle whatever it is your thinking of buying. Ray
Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Groan......

Always with the labels.

What makes a gun "entry level?"

Price, or quality?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the Savage is in good condition, I'd jump on that deal. That's a very good price for a Savage. Like Gm54 said, you can buy it and re-sell it for a profit if you don't like it.

I do have a CVA Wolf, and it is a nice little carbine. It is a great short-range, tree stand/brush gun. I haven't had the chance to shoot it at longer ranges, but at 50 - 70 yards it is very accurate. My dad took a deer with it last year from a treestand at 35 yards. But the Savage is a better built, higher quality rifle, plus you can shoot smokeless from it....
Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO you can't go wrong with either one. Pick the one that feels the best to you.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

If your plan is to sight it in when you get it, check the sights with a few shots before each season, and hunt with it two or three weekends each year, I would suggest the Wolf package with all the junk you need. It's a good rifle - simple, solid and accurate (and a heck of a lot easier carrying than the Savage).
Old 07-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Spike

well, the $350 savage was gone when I went to go check it out... Looks like it will be the Wolf. I'll probably wait a month or so and see what comes up between now and then...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.