Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Omega Hard to Load >

Omega Hard to Load

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Hard to Load

Old 06-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Omega Hard to Load

Just looking for a little advice on Sabot ( I guess) I bought a new Omega and started out with the same load as I shoot in my Endeavor ( Both TC figured they would like the same load)

Well I have to say I love the accuracy..... Harvester SB and Hornady 250 SST. Shoots as well as my endeavor with this load. I really want to keep shooting the SST ( I love the wound channel) and out of the 15+ I have shot with this load, only 3 have made another step from where I shot it!!!

My problem is...after the first shot, it is a bear to load the second without fully cleaning the barrel. I use BH209 and have shot my endeavor 50+ times and never swabbed between shots.

Has anyone else had this issue with an Omega???
What was your solution????
Would a CR be a better idea???

I am open to suggestions
Old 06-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

New TC's are pretty notorious for tight bores especially when they are new. You probably did but I am going to ask, did you really clean the bore with a good bore solvent? The new bores are really packed with a copper bore preservative. Regualr cleaning will not do much for it.

Then you may have to do a treatment of JB's bore paste. I had to do 100 strokes in mine before I could load the sabots well. The lands and grooves are not polished well when they come from TC.

Lastly the more you shoot it and get it broke in it will loosen some.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Dominant Buck

My T/C Black Diamond XR had a tight bore until I used JB Bore Paste on it and then shot it a little. Now it is just a sweet rifle.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my Triumph I find that loading the Barnes Ez-Loader (blue sabot) is very easy
Old 06-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Guys.........I will give it a try!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

I tried all that but my Triumph was still really tight with the black MMP Sabots. Switched over to the Harvester Crushed Rib Sabots and never looked back. My barrel is still really tight and can only use the Crushed Rib.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an Omega that was absolutely one of, if not the most accurate MZ I have ever seen in my life. You could cut the X at 150 yards with this rifle. Only problem was no matter what, it was 100% impossible to get a second shot down the barrel . And the first shot was a struggle. I tried several different sabot and bullet combinations. And the rifle shot all those combo's well. But I could not fix the "tight bore". So I decided to just get rid of it. I refuse to pay that kind of money for a rifle that is that finicky with what load it will accept. If I could have found one that went down easy I would have kept it.

And one combo probably is out there that would work. But again a rifle simply should not be that finicky. Tom.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gave up on the SST's in my Omega. They were nice and accurate but were definately a one shot deal without cleaning. I went to the 300 gr Nosler Partition PP's in the blister pack and they were 100 yd moa. Not sure if they're still around though. Another one that shoot's well in my Omega is the Precision Rifle 340 gr Dead Centers. Both loads with 110 gr T7 and Win 209 primers and both with the supplied sabots.

I picked up some orange MMP sabots and am going to shoot some .458 350 gr Hornady RN and some .458 Nosler Partitions to see how they fare.

Those SST's were a bear to load even on a clean barrel though.

HA
Old 06-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

Well I have the bore paste ordered after going to five local shops and no one having it. As soo as i receive it and am able to try out, I will post my results.
When I got it, I thought I cleaned it very good with Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber but maybe I missed something.
If this doesn't work, is anyone in the market for an Omega, real CHEAP?
Thanks to all that responded.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

50-100 strokes of JB/oil will solve your problem. i did 50 strokes. i can now use Crushed rib sabots with about any 45cal bullet and the barnes TEZ bullets load great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.